What will be the next big carbohydrate?

Many challengers have tried to topple the holy trinity of potato / rice / pasta, but none have had the same ubiquity.

Isn’t it time for a new carb to come and shake our world?

Mark my words, there will be a hot new carb before the year is out, mark my words.

What’s your favourite carb?

• Rice
  • Pasta
  • Noodles
  • Couscous
  • Bulgur wheat
  • Roti
  • Spätzle
  • Millet
  • Sorghum
  • Quinoa
  • Cornmeal
  • Oats
  • Barley
  • Rye
  • Bread
  • Potatoes
  • Yams
  • Cassava
  • Plantain
  • Other

0 voters

Potato spaghetti

1 Like

All hail the humble roti

Spätzle

2 Likes

Gesundheit

1 Like

Large potatoes

Woah, never heard of this before, looks revolutionary, though on the other hand, it’s German, not a trend-setter in the carb world

Spätzle is a type of pasta made with fresh eggs, typically serving as a side for meat dishes with gravy. Commonly associated with Swabia, it is also found in the cuisines of southern Germany and Austria, Switzerland, Hungary, Slovenia, Alsace, Moselle and South Tyrol.

is cronut a carb

I’ll tell you what it is, it’s delicious

Maybe double carbs

Yams

carbs are so good

4 Likes

If someone held a yam in front of you, would you be able to tell what it was?

• Definitely
  • Perhaps
  • I might confuse it for a sweet potato
  • Possibly
  • Unlikely
  • No
  • Other

0 voters

My Mutti bought me a spätzle maker for Chrimbs but I haven’t use it yet. You can just use a colander though or pick them up ready made in yer Lidls/Aldis from time to time.

2 Likes

See them a lot in markets and stuff and they just kind of look like firewood or something.

That would have made a good entry to a “guess what kitchen utensil this is” game

The book I’m reading at the moment goes on about yams a lot. Makes me want to eat yams, but can never quite get the picture of them straight in my head.

I Yam Legend?

I had an incredibly good vegan Spätzle in Berlin [where else?] a few years back.

Cum

1 Like