What would you do in this situation?

For some reason I watched this expecting the bear to sit down in the chair. I am disappointed this was not how it happened.

2 Likes

Until I tread on a bear with my bare* feet in the middle of the night, I will refuse to change my stance on this.

* yes, bear feet

2 Likes

I would pull a thorn out of his paw to help him out and share some food with him.
We would then be best buds and I would ride around on his back as we listened to Bright Eyes.
images

5 Likes

if it got a bit aggro, I would simply throw a sick feint and make it look like an idiot it front of all of its friends and family out on the river

it’s clearly attempting to chat up the man, though, but is too shy to make its intentions clear

I’d offer the good bear some honey tickle it behind the ears, hoping all the while it were a brown bear.

1 Like

Struggling with this part.

10 Likes

whispers landscape mode, FFS! :smiley:

1 Like

I think it’s a rare person who switches to landscape for anything but actual landscape panoramic sorts of shots, TBH.

1 Like

It really tickled me that you clarified this :smiley: Some much needed relief from ‘working’ from home with the emoji movie on in the background due to my nipper not leaving my side.

Anyway, enough about me; in answer to your question i would shit myself but probably do the same as the dude filming this. It would be a very shaky film though!

1 Like

Youtube recommended me this as a follow up. Actually pretty terrifying.

2 Likes

Yeah I remember that one at the time.

I seem to recall polar bears are technically the only natural land predator for human beings, as in all other predators who might eat humans only do so out of desperation.

There was at least one of those BBC Attenborough shows where they mentioned their fearsome sense of smell and how one of the crew had unwittingly sat down and opened their hot chicken soup flask and were lucky not to attract the distant bear they were tracking/filming.

5 Likes

Dunno about them being the only predator that eats us out of desperation. Wouldn’t that mean a well fed lion or tiger in a zoo would leave you alone if you kept your distance? Not sure I’d take my chances.

Also, I thought the reason polar bears tend to approach and attack humans is because they are desperate for food due to climate change.

1 Like

The point is a lion or tiger doesn’t tend to go for humans. They look for other animals as prey. Polar bears have always considered us good to eat and actively hunt us.

A lion could absolutely walk right by you but a polar bear would try to eat you

As with any internet debate, I’ve gone to wiki for more info! Quoted the main point that it makes about animals that actively hunt us but the whole article is an interesting read.

Man-eaters

‘Although human beings can be attacked by many kinds of animals, man-eaters are those that have incorporated human flesh into their usual diet and actively hunt and kill humans. Most reported cases of man-eaters have involved lions, tigers, leopards, and crocodilians. However, they are not the only predators that will attack humans if given the chance; a wide variety of species have also been known to adopt humans as usual prey, including bears, Komodo dragons and hyenas.’

Yeah they have been known.

The distinction is minor. I absolutely never said polar bears are the only ones who kill humans it’s just a polar bear will never ignore a human, they see them as food always and go for them.

This guy looks quite cuddly!

That article does say specific to polar bears that they rarely attack and those that do are generally either young, malnourished, or diseased.

Think it’s fair to say all wild man-eating animal interactions with us are very complex related to their habitats, history, if they are sole or pack hunters, availabilty of other prey etc.

The bit about the leopard that killed 200 people was interesting. Seems like if human bodies aren’t buried or disposed of properly, the scavenging of a dead human can lead them to attack live ones. Guess they get a taste for us!

Imagine how many indie points you’d get for being eaten by a komodo dragon

3 Likes