What's one thing you hate about something that you otherwise like?

I hate the performative aspect of geek/nerd fandom. Like it’s not enough to really really like a thing, you also need to wear the t-shirts and buy the figurines and have the limited edition messenger bag and have the tattoo before you’re a “real” fan. Absolute nonsense.

5 Likes

Also: love penoid events, hate the smell.

2 Likes

Hate the sinner, love the sin.

I really like this video but I hate Jimmy Fallon and his stupid fucking face and it’s like being at a really good party with all of your friends but also someone’s invited one person you don’t like being around and that’s all you can think about

6 Likes

Always gonna be nerd stuff, innit? Love comics, but most comic shops are awful, awful places. Especially true of long running independent ones.

1 Like

I’ve never understood the hate for comic shops but it seems that I’ve been lucky. The only one I’ve actively disliked was Forbidden Planet in Dublin, which was run by cunts when I lived there.

1 Like

Representation of women in the recorded output of Kanye West: 2004-2013

2 Likes

I like cycling, but hate that most people who do it cycle on 2 wheels rather than 1.

6 Likes

Computer games: 89% of people who are into computer games

3 Likes

Angry, entitled fans of pretty much anything I like.

7 Likes

I generally quite like Forbidden Planets cos they’ve got a level of corporate blandness. Better that than ones run by 40-something lifelong nerds who seemingly hate the bulk of their customers.

There’s one in Edinburgh like that which (allegedly) was the inspiration for Black Books :smiley:

2 Likes

Really? What don’t you like about it?

Eh? But you posted loads about it in that thread. Have you had a change of heart?

2 Likes

I think this extends to the concept of fandom itself really. I think people should like things in and of themselves instead of attaching them to a franchise or culture.

Toast ands crumbs

1 Like

this is a bad example because there’s many things to dislike about video games but:

I really like videogames but I really dislike how people attribute too much credit to the publishers and corporations for their success and the fun in them. Tonnes of almost fetishisation of the corporate business practices around games in their analysis.

thing this might be why I’m starting to get into board games because it seems they can be made by a few people and really distilled down into fun mechanics and the craft of game design without all this other stuff. Maybe bigger penoids would be able to dispute this though.

gun sound effects/air horn effects in reggaeton and dancehall

1 Like

Football / Football fans.

3 Likes