what's the biggest cultural thing you managed to completely miss?

Game of Thrones.

1 Like

pretty sure this was pre 2010

God, it’s Blinding Lights isn’t it? Pointless = 100

1 Like

I’m assuming he meant The Weeknd song Blinding Lights, which is from 2019.

1 Like

:fist_right: :fist_left:

2 Likes

Apparently, according to the ‘companies you’re baffled by the success of’ thread, there’s some kind of drink called ‘Prime’. Never heard of it. Can’t believe you’d want/be able to launch something called ‘Prime’ without bein sued by Ol Jef Amazon-face anyway.

Huh.

2 Likes

Gaming. I think the last computer game I played was whichever came out latest out of Champ Manager 3 or Doom?

Games seemed to start needing too much time and headspace to get into. Our kids are now getting to an age where it’s something I think they might enjoy on some level, but I don’t know anything about different consoles or games. Like I’ve heard terms like Switch and Steam Deck, but I don’t know what they mean, and whenever I’ve dipped my toe in the whole thing feels overwhelming like I’ve missed too much to catch up on.

Soap operas - some of the most-watched shows in the country, but they’ve pretty much passed me by completely.

2 Likes

You can piss off as well

1 Like

When he died a mate of mine successfully convinced people that he thought the correct pronunciation of Nelson Mandela’s name was Man-der-lar because he claimed he’d never heard anyone say it out loud.

Auld ma Ruffs still buys the Radio Times, I enjoy a little glance when I’m back home.

1 Like

If the Shazam films exist, which I don’t think they do. them

:grinning:

I honestly don’t know who John Goldman is!!!

1 Like

Good stuff! Wholesome fun!

Can’t work out if you’re doing a bit or not but either way my blood pressure is through the roof all over again. :joy:

4 Likes

Isn’t he that one out of The Fly, Jurassic Park and all those?

1 Like

A few years ago someone posted a thing on here which was like this video that showed the biggest selling artists over the last 60 years or something, so as time passed you got these bars showing how many records artists were selling and them jumping around in a league table, and every now and again your Beatles or your Michael Jacksons would shoot to the top and leave everyone in their dust for years and years.
At around 2012 (I think? I don’t even know now tbh) someone called Drake shot to the top and stayed there for years, eclipsing everyone by a million miles. People in the thread didn’t believe I’d never heard of him. I still haven’t knowingly heard any of his music.

4 Likes

The Simpsons

I know what Drake looks like cos of the meme template and I’ve probably heard one of his songs cos I think it’s on a Minions adjacent film soundtrack from when I took my kids to such things but I’ve never otherwise heard a note of his music.

I believe he’s a wrong-un though?

Anyway the Jordie LaForge meme template is way better.

Somehow an entire trilogy of moody teen dystopia films that grossed $765 million that I hadn’t heard of until I saw browsing the bargains section of iTunes.