What's the earliest point you've left a gig that you paid to attend?

I went to see Me First And The Gimme Gimmes with a mate of mine because on a drunken night out he’d convinced me that I needed to see them live to truly appreciate them. Shortly after they began playing their first song, he disappeared into the moshpit while I realised my mistake. I took the opportunity to go home.

10 Likes

5 minutes into seeing the Zac Brown Band after my gf threw up on herself. Wasn’t that bad as I didn’t want to be there in the first place.

2 Likes

Paid to go in to see Future of the Left in Sheffield. Went downstairs in the venue, saw the stage times and realised FOTL would be on after the last train home left. Went home immediately and sulked. The first support hadn’t even started.

9 Likes

I’ll tell you later #noelgallagher @stickboy

2 Likes

Maybe Air at Shepherds Bush Empire in the late 90s. Walked in to an absolutely packed downstairs. Many fans were suits. Me and my mate needed the loo and so had a piss and walked out. Luckily, Sexy Boy and Kelly Watch The Stars was played during our brief time there and so not a total waste of time.

2 Likes

pretty much immediately, due to severe social anxiety (paid in and all)

i’ve left more local gig types before the headliner if i was mainly there for the support. don’t do it too often but i bought a record off the support once cos they were packing up early to travel back to Dublin and then couldn’t be bothered to stand holding it through the next band’s set so just headed home. i’ve seen the headliner since and they’re actually quite good and my friend has worked with them a bit so i should probably have stuck around after all.

that’s about it really. for bigger gigs, i left Django Django before (or during?) the encore to get a bus home - wasn’t too bothered as i’d seen them before and was mainly there this time to see Stealing Sheep’s support set

I’ve come very close to this a couple of times but stayed because I assume the people would know I’m leaving and think I was a total freak or something, so I’ve stayed and had a terrible time instead.

There’s no winning in that scenario I’m afraid.

I know festivals don’t really count but Animal Collective at Primavera 2011 is the first time I’ve actively ran away from a performing band because I couldn’t deal with it.

3 Likes

Went to see Ned’s Atomic Dustbin at Leeds O2 last year, they were touring with the Wonderstuff who I’d never been much of a fan of. Luckily Ned’s were on first, went down the front got utterly knackered jumping around, after they’d finished I went downstairs got my coat and went home happy!

1 Like

Went to see Meltybrains? (A.K.A. one of the worst current Irish bands) and left two minutes into the set. Fucking terrible stuff.

2 Likes

I’ve only known of them since I read their name in this post less than a minute ago and I already hate them.

Meltybrains. FFS.

4 Likes

Would you believe the question mark is part of their name.

4 Likes

I didn’t even notice the question mark. I think my mind was trying to protect me from absorbing the full horror all at once.

Fucking hell.

3 Likes

I am very sorry. Please listen to this great song by one of the best recent Irish bands to make up for it.

2 Likes

Ahhh. Yeah this is good. And perfect music to pack up at hometime ready for a bank holiday weekend to. Cheers!

1 Like

Smashing Pumpkins at Wembley Arena on the Machina tour. Awful seats + awful venue + Billy Corgan in full on pompous prick mode. I think we left after three songs.

3 Likes

shortly after starting university, me and a couple of new pals went to a gig at the lomax in it’s old location and left after the support band, thinking that was it! we really enjoyed the band, can’t remember if it was cha cha cohen, or if they were the headliners we missed.

that was a long time ago and can’t remember how we found out we’d fucked up. still friends with those two, so will try to remember to ask them.

i always see them described as being interesting and great, though i listened to a song or two a while back and wasn’t that keen. had assumed i was missing something and planned to give them a proper try but i won’t bother based on this!

almost considered going to see them when they played here last week actually, but they were playing with Robocobra Quartet who attract the same kinds of descriptions and who are definitely influenced by loads of bands i love, but i just can’t stand them at all

2 Likes