What's the first film you saw at the Cinema WITHOUT a grown up present

Also I’ve been to that cinema

I saw Ghostbusters 2 there with a friend, his girlfriend and her friend.

I felt under some pressure to “get off” with the girl in question, but I bottled it

The Pokemon movie, I think.

I think I saw Lock Stock… at that Cinema

1 Like

Great thread everyone

loving these provincial & suburban cinema pics

^This. Proper nostalgic

A recent trip back to my parent’s house brought the news that they’ve finally started a bus service to the cinema from the town centre some 18 years after it was constructed. As mentioned, it’s literally in a retail park directly off the motorway (with no pavements obviously) so me and my mates used to have to walk the 1.5 miles to get there by cutting through a wood with a sheer bank in the middle of it and climbing over fences etc.

18 years to get a bus service running, kids these days don’t know they’re born…

Ha, I walk past this almost every day.

1 Like

Did the screening include this INCREDIBLY strange short film?

2 Likes

Mine was also the first Tobey Maguire Spiderman. Saw it at the Cornerhouse in Nottingham which had only been open a few months at that point.

I was in Year 7 and somehow we managed to convince our English teacher we needed to leave her class 10 minutes early

1 Like

Jurassic Park at Stevenage Cannon Cinema before it closed down and was demolished. We went on the bus. It took an hour to get there.

This is it from before Cannon took over ABC.

Imgur

It took another two years before the first Cineworld opened in the leisure park, over the railway.

2 Likes

yeah but

young boys, jumpers for goalsposts etc.

1 Like

yes yes yes :smiley:

1 Like

ha what?

A classic Saturday would involve breaking into the girl’s grammar to use their hockey astroturf for about 5 hours worth of football before a sweaty 1.5mile trek to the cinema (unshowered) and then the same trek back to town for Pizza Hut.

Fucking great times.

Yeah I dunno why she let us, my best mate was allowed to leave early every day to get a bus that only came once an hour so maybe she assumed we were all staying over at hers. We felt like massive rebels.

No idea, but my parents didn’t like going to the cinema, so from an early age I went with mates. Our preferred cinema was under a shopping mall, in an area called the “Berenkuil” (=bear’s den). The interior was pretty cool.

After the cinema closed down it was turned into a pretty cool concert venue for a few years. It is now part of a large shop selling jeans.

2 Likes

Used to go here when I was a kid, never realised what an ugly building it was. It is of course now flats.

1 Like

Can’t really remember, interview with the vampire? Second Matrix? Shawn of the Dead?

OK, mine

I saw

with Tom Stevens

at the Maxime Cinema in Street, Somerset

which became the absolutely hideous ENVY nightclub
http://www.auction.co.uk/commercial/LotDetails.asp?A=538&MP=84&ID=538000028

which is now closed down & the building is apparently up for sale

2 Likes