What's the most original music made this century?

Skatgobs

Aye, this or Extratone or something.

Things that simply weren’t possible without current technology.

inclined to agree

1 Like

got a softspot for crabcore

2 Likes

Apart from TV On The Radio, obviously…

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking

And then you could argue that TVOTR were only taking cues from some of the more avant garde four ad acts

Ha, I don’t think they sound alike at all.

1 Like

TVOTR definitely peaked in the first 20 seconds of I Was A Lover (but that was a great peak on a really great album). Can see the similarities with Young Fathers though…both great bands mind.

1 Like

Radiohead

Radiohead
Sons of Kemet
Flying Lotus
Burial
Dean Blunt / Hype Williams
The Bug
Those Grime felllows (know so little about grime it hurts - massive gap in my geekery)
Converge

1 Like

Day the world changed, my friends:

Day the world changed.

3 Likes
1 Like

Beyond the fact that both bands have black guys making music in a white-dominated scene I’m not sure I really see the similarities.

it has to be Mark Kozelek

3 Likes

Most music regardless of genre conforms to the assumption that music has to be interesting to be good. His subversion of boredom, making it a powerful and integral part of his music is pretty original.

St. Vincent and Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith seem pretty original to me.

Holly Herndon’s development of AI to produce music is I assume an original way of producing music, or at least the first or most visible and/or successful example of this.

I’m guessing there may be other examples in an academic or semi academic setting of using say biology to create or replicate music?

This is a great question though to which I have no answer. I wouldn’t even be able to say what the main genre developments over the last 20 years are. Everything feels like a sub-genre now but maybe that’s not right?

4 Likes

Stormzy

Probably those electric cars