What's the most recent album that you'd give a 10/10 to?

pointless
ratings

Both albums are amazing and should go down among the best of the decade. That three song stretch of The Combo, Sun’s Coming Down, and Beautiful Blue Sky is especially great.

No, I’ve never listened to them before actually, but now I’ll definitely give them a shot with that description.

It’s great start to finish, but for me that three song stretch of New Year, Wishes, and On the Sea is something else entirely. I don’t know if they’ll ever top that.

Yes this

Agent Intellect for me is one of very few albums that gets better and better as it goes on. The four track finale of Clandestine Time, Why Does It Shake?, Ellen and Feast of Stephen is just utter perfection.

@1101010
do you like/know mewithoutYou? People often compare them and La Dispute and they are fantastic. their last two albums are on that BSM bandcamp link.

I haven’t heard of them. I will give them a listen.

yeah i love pale horses, its absolute class.

ANTI by rihanna.

I think I have to stick with the intangible system for the opposite reason; usually when I like a band I end up liking everything they do, so if I went by the above “every track great / perfectly sequenced” criteria then almost every album I like would get a 10. There are several albums now from this year that would easily pass that test, but none of them come close to touching 10’s like Mellon Collie, The Moon and Antarctica, Lift Yr Skinny Fists, August and Everything After, etc.

I reckon there are a few of these albums most years, but it takes a few years to be sure which ones.

The most recent ones I would put in that category:

Kathryn Joseph - Bones You Have Thrown Me and Blood I’ve Spilled (2015)
David Bowie - Blackstar (2016)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree (2016)
Sun Kil Moon - Benji (2014)

Of the ones I own released since 2010 I would say these are the 10/10’s:
First Aid Kit - The Lions Roar - 2012
Half Man Half Biscuit - Urge For Offal - 2014
Parquet Courts - Light up Gold - 2013
Veronica Falls - 2011
The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream - 2014

What sort of percentage of albums you’d rate is an appropriate amount to give 10.0s to? Assuming these are pitchfork style ratings…

actually it’s only really Benji. Every other album I’ve ever heard I can think of tangible ways they can be improved.

It’s probably just me but The Party by Andy Shauf

interesting choice. i think it’s far and away her best album but it’s not a perfect ten for me.

The ones I’d put in the 9.5-10 category:

Grimes - Art Angels (I dunno if I’ll ever hear a better “pop” abum than this. So relentlessly innovative and yet it comes off like a greatest hits collection.)
Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle (seems a bit much to put a debut album in here maybe, but it’s just so totally cohesive and devastating and has its own unique atmosphere more than almost any other record this decade)
Martha - Courting Strong (another debut… but fuck it, it’s just such an exquisite pop-punk mission statement, not a wasted note on it pretty much)

Close but not quite:
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
The Wonder Years - Suburbia AND No Closer To Heaven
The World Is… - Whenever If Ever
Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt
The Hotelier - Home Like No Place Is There
Chvrches - The Bones Of What You Believe
Spoon - They Want My Soul
Dick Diver - Melbourne, Florida

Can I just say that I like it when people name really leftfield choices. Like for example I’m definitely going to go back and listen to Wondrous Bughouse again after seeing it mentioned on here, to see what I missed (I probably never gave it enough of a chance). The notion that some people seem to subscribe to that there’s a select canon of albums from this decade that are acceptable choices can absolutely get to fuck.

Was thinking about saying Sprained Ankle too, I think it’s rare for an album built-up such a large following through word of mouth.

It’s a funny notion. Obviously it’s intrinsically subjective, but at the same time if someone gave me a list of their 10s and there were, I dunno, even 5 per year then I’d think they were absuing that 10 rating.

To paraphrase that fanous judge / censor (can’t remember) quote on the subject of adult films, I can’t define a 10, but I know it when I hear it.

FWIW, this decade…
Eleven Tigers - Clouds Are Mountains (2010)
bvdub - Serenity (2012)
Swans - The Seer (2012) although I’m torn on this these days and can’t listen to it
Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell (2015)
Everything Everything - Get To Heaven (2015)

I think the going rate is roughly one a year, but with some years being booms and others being busts.

Then I can get to fuck, I guess.

Well actually I can see your point, especially when it comes to individual choices on a music forum. It’s when wilfully left field choices feature on year-end or decade lists by publications that I get a bit annoyed.