What's the worst decline a band/musician has ever had?

Yep.

1 Like

Forgot they existed. The album seems to go for mad loot considering how bad it actually was.

Deep down I know you’re right, but I do properly love we got it from here and have listened to it far more than midnight marauders since it came out

2 Likes

That’s how I feel with those two songs too, they’re on a whole other level. I don’t think they’ve ever topped them, but I thought Every Country’s Sun and Hardcore were consistently very good throughout.

1 Like

Agreed, I just know I rate The Terror more highly than most people do. The general consensus seems to be their two best are between 1993 and 2002.

Quite like some of Voodoo lounge - but yeah, apart from that it’s pretty barren.

Oh for sure - I love it too. It’s one of the best records of the decade without a doubt (kind of torn between this and D’Angelo as best comeback record ever tbh). Just that I think LET and MM are two of the best records ever made

I own this on CD single…

REM
Swans

3 Likes

Some of opens it up a bit more:

• Trail of the Dead. Source Tags is probably the peak for me, but Lost Songs is fantastic.

• …Like Clockwork might be the 2nd or 3rd best Queens of the Stone Age album.

• Do to the Beast might also beat a couple of the original Afghan Whigs albums. Greg Dulli has basically had a 26 year peak.

• The Red Hot Chili Peppers with By the Way.

• The best Blink 182 album is probably s/t, but Neighborhoods and Dude Ranch each can make a case for the second best and are 14 years apart.

deftones
eels
faith no more
fiona apple
future of the left
the horrors
portishead
sharon van etten
sleater kinney
suede

loads

raises hand to say slowdove. Reads post and lowers

Never heard of 'em m9 :thinking:

:wink:

1 Like

They play covers of Doves songs.

Really slowly.

8 Likes

That sounds like it’d be amazing. Now can’t decide which fantasy crossover band I’d rather hear:

Slowdoves
Lowdive
Lowdoves

3 Likes

here’s one that never really gets mentioned but what happened to Ash after Free All Angels?

1 Like

Yeah, loved Ash back in the day. To be fair, after their break, their recent albums have a fair few bangers on them.

Still a cracking live band. Saw them two years ago and they were unreal.

4 Likes

They dipped with meltdown and struggled with toti (which I do actually really like tbf) and then released consistently good stuff with A-Z, Kablammo (fun but light) and the excellent Islands.

I don’t necessarily disagree objectively (subjectively, Enema will always be No.2 for me), but this is a pretty controversial take. People properly hate Neighbourhoods.

With the caveat that a support slot at Wembley Arena is never the best way to experience any band, I was surpised by how unimpressive they were supporting Weezer in 2017. Obviously it’s possible I’m just clouded by Nostalgia but I remember Charlotte-era Ash being a properly great live band (Tim’s vocals aside, obviously). It’s not that they were sloppy or anything, but just …fine. You’ve got to give them props for sticking at it though; there aren’t many bands who have travelled up and down the Reading Festival bill in the way they have. IIRC they sub-headlined one year.