What's the worst decline any TV has had?

I’d hazard that most TV shows decline in quality over time, but the Royle Family thread has reminded me of the gulf in quality between the first series and the specials - just like the people who made them had total lobotomies in between and had no idea of what made it good in the first place.

I reckon Jonathan Creek is a good example - the first series is charming, clever, atmospheric - by the time you get to the most recent specials where he’s married to Sarah Alexander, it’s barely the same show, there’s hardly any mystery involved. How did it reach that point?

4 Likes

The Simpsons [/thread]

44 Likes

last season of parks and recreation is the worst thing i’ve ever seen

6 Likes

Dropped one once and it stopped working

4 Likes

Hard to see neighbours being headline news like it used to be :confused:

1 Like

Big brother…

1 Like

Yeah. I guess with the Simpsons though, it is at least a gradual decline - it’s hard to look to a specific point (like, I think Homer’s Enemy and The Principal and the Pauper are both funny episodes) and say where it went wrong, it was just a slow erosion of quality over time as writers became more self-referential, ran out of fresh ideas, and became more reliant on celebrity cameos.

some other notables for me:

Teachers: wonderful first two series, a weaker but funnier third series, and then… well.
Frasier: Once Daphne and Niles get together it nosedives, it’s still watchable but a mere patch on what came before.
Red Dwarf: nuff said
The Office US: After Michael leaves
Arrested Development: Jesus christ
Twin Peaks: but thankfully The Return saved its legacy

8 Likes

Lost

Battlestar Galactica

24 (silly high octane campy action to silly high octane campy action that was pretty racist)

Dexter

3 Likes

game of thrones :confused:

14 Likes

WWF Raw

5 Likes

The one with the underground jockey kingdom. There was no way back from there.

6 Likes

I agree there’s a general shift after this, BUT the ensemble is so strong that it remains a good, funny show, AND two of my favourites things come at this point (the entire Robert California run, and Kathy Bates’ performance). The real weakness is what they do with Andy’s character.

2 Likes

American Horror Story seemed to get super boring, or maybe I’m easily bored nowadays

1 Like

I think this appplicable for any tv series where the initial couple of seasons hinge around the will they/won’t they dynamic of two of the leads (Friends, New Girl, TBBT etc)

1 Like

Yeah, that is absolutely a bilge episode. But was that the turning point? The rot must have begun to set in well before.

I listen to the Talking Simpsons podcast and I think they’re currently approaching Season 10, will be interesting to see how long they can hold out, when they openly admit to not even watching new releases and criticising everything they hear about it.

Still think it’s the worst by far, gradual or not. It went from being the funniest show on TV to… well, you saw the Trump vid yesterday.

2 Likes

They’d had peaks and troughs before, but for me that was the episode where I realised something had fundamentally broken and could never be fixed.

2 Likes

Samsung 50" RU7100

7 Likes

Was it before or after the panda sex or Marge raping Homer?