What's the worst decline any TV has had?

Yeah, the middle third (roughly) of season two is quite unbelievable compared to the 15 or so episodes of the show before that. Was just morbid curiousity that kept me going through that on first watch.

4 Likes

At least 3 seasons before the latter (which I had to Google and JFC), not sure about the former.

Broad City was really weird when Hillary Clinton became a main character. It put me off the last season.

I never thought season one of either True Detective or Westworld were particularly great, but they’re absolute masterpieces compared to their second seasons. Both of them completely nosedived at that point.

1 Like

First episode of lost was interesting

2 Likes

X Files for me

S1-2 basically perfect aside from the odd duff monster of the week episode
S3-4 still very good but starting to get a bit repetitive, stringing the same narrative out for too long
S5-6 moves to hollywood and becomes big budget and glossy and still enjoyable if a bit slight, too many joke episodes
S7 into total rehash territory here, show has run its course, time to end it lads
S8 mulder is brought back from the dead, fathers an alien baby with scully, um no
S9 mulder isn’t even in the show anymore but people keep seeing him ‘in the distance’ in increasingly comical ways, new characters that suck, basically x files: the next generation
S10 (and 11?) total cash in reboot and ooh let’s do a story about al qaeda to stay relevant lol fuck off lads

2 Likes

One thing that’s struck me from thinking about this is that I’m much more likely to bail on TV shows when there’s a downturn in quality now that there are so many more streamable options. Probably would have stuck with Kimmy Schmidt or Bloodline for ages if they were on E4 when I was about 15.

The decline of Red Dwarf makes me so sad ahhh

6 Likes

the wire season 5

2 Likes

I kept watching Kimmy Schmidt but by the end it was just on in the background, I couldn’t even really pay attention to it.

1 Like

Season 5 Wire is still great though. Streets ahead of most other TV shows.

6 Likes

BBC News, 2010 onwards in particular.

5 Likes

Think it was around the rowing storyline that I realised I found Kimmy deeply annoying and that I was only really watching for Titus and Lillian.

1 Like

Was thinking about Heroes. Watched s1 as a kid and it was pretty great iirc. Then no one watched S2 and by S4 they were in a touring Circus? What the fuck

6 Likes

Came in to say Heroes. Wan’t amazing for the first season but the drop off in season two was crazy

6 Likes

Might be controversial but Peep Show post season 6 is a huge decline on what came before.

Season 6 escapes any blame for the scene where Mark jizzes in his pants.

4 Likes

Eating the dog is generally seen as the turning point. I don’t really have a strong memory of anything that came after Mark and Sophie getting married.

4 Likes

Anyone said Community yet? Only made it to the end of season 3, found it borderline unwatchable by then. The idea of wading through a Troy/Britta romance put me off for good.

2 Likes

The first 3 seasons of Community are great but there are some bizarre choices in later series.

Also hamstrung by them having to bin off the lunatic Chevy Chase.

3 Likes

I think I remember finding it really annoying after a while. smug and earnest?