What's Their Best Song? #11: Bob Dylan

BITW is one of those where I know it’s a classic tune and it’s nice to hear it when it comes on somewhere randomly, but I can’t imagine ever actively looking to put it on out of choice. Just too over familiar with it. Same with The Times They Are Becoming Quite Different.

6 Likes

Yeah those two songs in particular I’ve just been struggling with like “they’re obviously brilliant and surely it’s just contrarian to leave them off the list… but I’ve heard enough”

4 Likes

How many notebooks did you need for this one?

I don’t know where my notebook is! I’m just freestyling, it’s all rattling about in my head! Chaos

3 Likes

Finally gonna have to bite the bullet and add my two’penneth to this chaos then! List incoming (very) shortly…

1 Like

Found this impossible so went down the maverick route of kingmaking.

1 Like

hahaha i’ve narrowed it down to 23 tracks as of right now. :laughing:

2 Likes

Submitted my list an hour or so ago, and I’d probably change half of it now.

Absolutely agree with you on Blowing in the Wind but did used to stick on The Times They Are etc quite a lot. I feel like it’s one of those classics that I heard OF for years but didn’t actually hear the song until maybe my late teens?

Still didn’t vote for it though

Good to hear you picked something from Time Out Of Mind then - I’ve been enjoying revisiting it over the last week. Surely it’s only a matter of time until Love Sick gets its moment as a gritty Netflix drama theme song or a Scorcese montage scene.

I didn’t pick anything between 1979-1997. Be interesting to see if anyone goes for anything from that era.

1 Like

I like Desire, I’d not heard it prior to reading the thread, One More Cup Of Coffee is so good! Hurricane too. His band on there really breathe a lot of life into the songs.

There are a few Dylan songs that definitely feel over familiar to me so I was quite taken with these two covers from a recent uncut cd, always a pleasure to hear Mimi sing…

…and this is so vibrant

1 Like

Haven’t heard that comp but this got released again on one of her EPs

4 Likes

I like that one a lot too! heard that before Bob’s original, I’m not very familiar with her own music though

She’s v good, saw her play that cover live this time last year as well which was very nice

Always liked this version of Ballad of Hollis Brown with a banjo player

1 Like

Hey Funkman, I can’t seem to DM you

Go to your messages, select new message and you should be able to find them if you type their name into the to box, clicking on their profile doesn’t work

1 Like

I didn’t but was very close to adding Murder Most Foul into my list. Mississippi could’ve gone in too

3 Likes

Mississippi came close for me too, love the version on the bootleg series release

2 Likes