What's Their Best Song? #12: Oasis - RESULTS THREAD

That makes sense, thanks for elaborating!

1 Like

As such, to me, Urban Hymns marked the end of BritPop. When the top dog messes up people look elsewhere. I guess Urban Hymns is a BritPop album but the mood it set signalled times had changed, and they had.

3 Likes

Travis are a bad band if only for this

Yes but then they grew up and wrote a much, much better follow up album

2 Likes

Funky you gotta remember to repeat this poll in the WTBS: Blur thread so we can compare the results

Cba to look but I may have already!

ctrl+f says no.

1 Like

and their awful smug cover of baby one more time

2 Likes

God, I hated Urban Hymns SO MUCH …and I’d loved pretty much everything ‘The’ Verve had done before that. I wish they’d stayed split after Northern Soul

2 Likes

That guy has just done a good video on Urban Hymns. Talks a lot about the making of A Northern Soul as well, which is the most interesting part. He knows his stuff anyway!

I wonder what a Lasagna made by Noel Gallagher in 1993 would have been like. I doubt he had access to good Parmigiano Reggiano and/or Mozzarella.

Mmmm… Horse

2 Likes

I like the 3 (?) old style Verve tracks in it.

2 Likes

The whole thing was just too bloated for me, terrible stuff

I’m not suggesting it is a classic album, but I am suggesting it marked the time, 1997, near perfectly. The swagger is gentler, it is easing off but still fairly bombastic with it and as such it dwarfs Oasis at that time.

OK Computer is a far, far better album, and albums of that ilk become timeless, like OK Computer did and does. I guess my real point was that Urban Hymns marked the death of BritPop, an it’s over statement, and it does that well - very well.

1 Like

My local pub had Urban Hymns on the jukebox for years after 1997, so I made it my mission to play Come On as often as possible, end-of-track silence & Deep Freeze included. About half of UH is decent enough, and Come On is one of their career highlights

Best thing Richard Ashcroft was ever involved in

I probably listened to this every day from the summer of 1998 until the end of the millenium

6 Likes

Was on the excellent Beach OST as well

Brilliant this, thanks for the link. What a shambles of a gig, fascinating story.

1 Like

I was at this gig, certainly wasn’t the worst time I saw them.

1 Like