What's Their Best Song? #14: The Smiths

Really don’t like Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me. Always sounds to me like weak version of I Know It’s Over with some shitty strings and the wtf explosions at the beginning. The low point by a mile on Strangeways (which is maybe my favourite albums of theirs but for this bumming it out a bit).

Might have to do a Smiths binge this weekend.

Early top ten looking something like this…

1. Still Ill
  2. Headmaster Ritual
  3. Asleep
  4. Handsome Devil
  5. Jeane
  6. There is a Light…
  7. I Know It’s Over
  8. The Queen is Dead
  9. Stretch Out and Wait
  10. I Won’t Share You
1 Like

How Soon is Now.

I meant How Soon is Now.

LNIDTSLM is thoroughly mid-table.

1 Like

Definitely getting points from me. The perfect ending to their career.

1 Like

The Peel version of Reel Around The Fountain

Christian Bale Swag GIF

11 Likes

I once did an astonishing version of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want

12 Likes

barleysugar, you have a lovely voice

3 Likes

:pleading_face: Fanks

1 Like
5 Likes

I’d like to get in an early mention of ‘Ask’ which is a very horny song (in a good way).

Also a very big fan of ‘Shoplifters’ especially the bridge. The little rush of the band where he sings ‘a heatless hand on my shoulder / a rush and it’s over’ is amazing.

I also have grown quite fond of ‘Paint a Vulgar Picture’. The chord progression is very satisfying and the lyrics on it are quite juicy considering how much more annoying the reissue industry had gotten.

I don’t like How Soon is Now that much. Its sonically pretty spectacular but otherwise it is not what I want from a Smiths song.

4 Likes

When I bought the 7" boxset I did have a good laugh that it came with some photos and tacky badges

That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore
Death of a Disco Dancer
How Soon is Now?
Well I Wonder
I Know it’s Over

I like the moody ones

1 Like

Think this might get some points from me

2 Likes

Dyou know what one of the best 1-2 punches in all of music is (imo)?

On the Bside of The Boy With The Thorn In His Side where Rubber Ring transitions into Asleep.

Just amazing.

1 Like

Like every depressed loser I had a big Smiths phase when I was younger. Hope I can still enjoy them despite everything, not really listened to them since I found out what that guy is really like. Will be a v nice thread if I can rekindle just a little bit of that enthusiasm.

3 Likes

This riff on it is my fav thing CFTPA ever did

1 Like

If you’re interested in the music of The Smiths, but not the politics of the lead singer, there’s a great book called Songs That Saved Your Life by Simon Goddard, which is an in-depth song-by-song guide. Basically looks at the references and ideas behind each track, the musical influences, the songwriting process, details of live performances, etc. It’s put me on to loads of good stuff over the years. Don’t let the title put you off.

9 Likes

Been on a bit of a Smiths binge since this thread popped up yesterday. I’d pretty much consigned them to history thanks to M’s nonsense over recent years, but man, they really were incredible. Proper memory rush hearing this stuff again.

In my bedroom in those ugly new houses
I danced my legs down to the knees

1 Like
1 Like