What's Their Best Song? #15: Björk

I’M A FOUNTAIN OF BLOOD
IN THE SHAPE OF A GIRL

This is gonna be a good one, I can tell

3 Likes

Honestly I have tried, but it just isn’t clicking with me. I really want to love a Björk album again, because she was my absolute favourite for so long. But everything since Volta has been diminishing returns for me. Utopia was especially hard work to get through.

I just want some… songs. That I remember. She doesn’t really do those anymore.

1 Like

Yeah I get that, it’s still a development of the path she is going down.

Think she’s one of those artists where the mainstream success she had was a weird anomaly that never really made sense.

haven’t listened to bjork in fucking ages

What’s Their Best Song? : Bjork is a simple game, a load of Dissers vote and in the end, Hyper-Ballad always wins.

1 Like

Bachelorette wins

2 Likes

Think my mum will kingmaker History of Touches.

2 Likes

I should probably go back and listen to the new one a few more times. A bit burned by sitting with Utopia for ages and giving it loads of attention and it never jiving with me at all, but Vulnicura may be her best ever album so I still have faith in current Björk

2 Likes

Hyper-Ballad is just the best song, so this thread can wrap up the whole series imo.

2 Likes

The thing is, “the new stuff” was there all along if you looked for it. I remember reading that she fell out with Nellee Hooper because he wanted to put house beats on everything. Early b-sides like the domestic mix of Violently Happy, Stigdu Mig, and Glora definitely have that feel. Album tracks like Cover Me, Headphones and Anchor Song, even!

2 Likes

But I don’t need house beats, I just want memorable songs which she used to excel at, beats or not.

I totally support her desire to make whatever art she wants to, it’s just not for me anymore. And that’s fine, except that it makes me feel a little bit sad.

I always felt that Björk’s genius was taking unconventional and experimental styles and sounds and marrying them to great songs. But she leans heavier on the former than the latter these days.

2 Likes

Wtaf?? Aways assumed Nellee Hooper was a woman!!!

2 Likes

This is almost exactly how I feel about her more recent stuff

Bjork’s always been a great supporter of women in the arts, but has worked with plenty of men too

Yeah, it was just the name made me assume. Not sure I’d ever given it that much thought, just seen it written down and guessed incorrectly around 25 years ago.

1 Like

I might have agreed with this but had a breakthrough with Vulnicura. That album completely floored me and was memorable from the first listen, even though it was as experimental, arguably, as Biophilia (which I only liked for Crystalline and Mutual Core).

I found Utopia harder to like but eventually grew to love it. Maybe I stuck with it because I love Vulnicura so much. I’m finding Fossora a bit like Biophilia, though. I’m not sure if I’m going to take to it.

In the case of all four of these albums, though, I have no idea whether I was just in a more receptive mood at the time of listening to some of them or that some are just more immediate than others (relatively).

Another thing I’ve found is that as more albums come out I find myself understanding earlier tracks that I didn’t get before. I LOVE Vespertine, but at the time I really struggled with tracks like An Echo A Stain, but with the albums since Medulla and especially the last three, it makes a lot more sense.

Maybe I should go back and give Drawing Restraint 9 another try…

1 Like

Absolutely. I find this is true for other artists too, like Autechre and Arca.

1 Like

An artist I’ve always meant to explore - I won’t vote as my knowledge of her stuff is very limited. What would one recommend to listen to first or is there any killer playlists out there that you’d recommend?

Go for Homogenic, Vespertine and Post.
The first of those is her masterpiece IMO, but all 3 still have a commercial edge.
Or if youre an indie kid, you could go and listen to the first Sugarcubes album, which i think still sounds amazing.

1 Like