What's Their Best Song? #29: Leonard Cohen

Hello. We all love voting and ranking stuff, right? So let’s do it with some artists’ back catalogues. This will be a series of threads (unsure of timeframe etc at the moment) so if you don’t like an artist then don’t you worry your sweet ass, another will be along soon after. This time we’ll be voting on songs by LEONARD COHEN

HOW IT WORKS

So, voting will be similar to ones I’ve done before. You have 10 points to distribute however you like, across the entirety of the artist (Leonard Cohen in this case)‘s entire catalogue of songs. Album tracks, singles, b-sides, whatever you like, if I can google it and verify that it’s by them then it can get points. You can give all 10 points to one song or 1 point to 10 songs or anything in between. I’ll then calculate the points totals and do a results thread where the boards’ favourite song by whoever the subject is will be revealed.

:rotating_light: PLEASE DM ME TO VOTE, VOTES POSTED IN THE THREADS WILL NOT BE COUNTED :rotating_light:

Any questions? Thought not, let’s get going!

General chat is encouraged, obviously.

4 Likes

Today would have been big Len’s birthday btw

Leonard Cohen Drinking GIF

16 Likes

Yes - love him. Going to be very very difficult.

2 Likes

Hmmmmmm this is gonna be tricky :thinking:

May need to kingmaker Stranger song

6 Likes

Yeah this one isn’t tricky at all for me. Sure there’s plenty of contenders but nothing in this world is as cool to me as ol’ Lenny in a turtleneck weeping while playing Stranger Song on TV.

3 Likes

Gone 4-3-3 for this one for the first time ever.

Submitted mine - both tough and not tough, somehow. Probably my favourite songwriter of all time, in terms of lyrics.

Anyone else discover him through the Natural Born Killers soundtrack?

Kingmaker-ing Stranger Song is like giving 10 points to Teen Spirit in a Nirvana poll though

I only knew Len through covers til I got his best of from the library, it’s a really good one, great song after great song but the one that really bowled me over was Famous Blue Raincoat, I still remember how unusually honest these words felt to me when I first heard it

Yes, and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes
I thought it was there for good so I never tried

Stunning song.

8 Likes

Very, very, very tricky this one. Probably has a couple of dozen perfect songs.

One of Us Cannot Be Wrong is getting at least one point for sure.

2 Likes

Stranger Song is nowhere near his biggest song though, is it? I’m pleasantly surprised to see all the love for it in here as I was half expecting to be the only voter for it

2 Likes

In that both of those things are fine?

It’s only the 4th most popular song on Songs of Leonard Cohen according to Spotify. if anything Suzanne is Cohen’s Teen Spirit, in that both would make a drunk sweaty rock club dancefloor go mental at about 1am.

10 Likes

I’ve picked my 6 standout tracks, just have to work out the points distribution between them

Gonna go 5/5 on this, then enjoy the playlist that comes up when it has better songs chosen by more people who are more knowledgeable than I am.

1 Like

It’s a great tune but it’s definitely one of the gateway Cohen songs for a lot of people, one of his most well known. 4th most popular song on his most popular album underlines that really.

Just feel like there’s some great deep cuts that would be more worthy

also, both songs appear on the act in question’s debut album

5 Likes

It’s only his 12th most popular song overall according to last.fm, I’m not kingmakering it but that’s fine imo

So many of his tunes I’d consider to be on roughly the same very high level, spreading the points more widely is the way I’m going on this one.

Love how bleak and lonesome this one is. Can’t think of another artist that so successfully captured a mood with such minimal instrumentation:

1 Like