What's Their Best Song? #29: Leonard Cohen

I’m sticking to the two best albums because they’re the best

1 Like

The debut and ‘…love and hate’? I think ‘…from a room’ is on a similar level. Also have a lot of love for ‘New Skin…’, expands the sound a bit and has one or two classics on it. I struggle with the eighties stuff and don;t really know the more recent ones well.

Yep

I like all four of those (might revisit From a Room and New Skin before voting) but those two are a cut above for me

Same, You Want It Darker is the only recent one I know well

2 Likes

Utmost respect for using this photo for an album cover

17 Likes

I have all but one cohen albums i think but ty for your concern

1 Like
3 Likes

Just gonna put this down here for a minute

4 Likes

The chord change into the chorus blew my head off the first time I heard it. All it is is him going from G(?) to C(?) but that shift along with his vocal is what made me a fan.

This post paid for by PROF$.

5 Likes

Going to have to be a ten for ‘Jazz Police’.

7 Likes

Oh yes. Definitely one of the best Scientology related tunes that one.

I mean, it’s Famous Blue Raincoat if we’re honest but just fuck me sideways with a Tim Horton…what a catalogue of genius.

The first couple of records manage to sound both so innocent and yet so knowing. As much as i love his latter work, i don’t think he ever did better.

3 Likes

Will be giving hefty points to this

4 Likes

It does change key though, tbf. At least to my ears?

I’ve been playing music for eighteen years now and I still don’t know what a key is so I will defer to you!

1 Like

Nah, mate. I’m probs wrong! Who gives a fuck, eh? It just sounds fit.

Changes from minor to major I think? Doesn’t it? I’m not good at music theory either.

I hesitantly agree but… fuck knows. Music theory is for… well, not me.

2 Likes

“I prefer his early stuff” safety wink

1 Like

When the backing vocals/harmonies come in on the final verse of Suzanne. Beautiful moment.

Going to have to put his best of on at the gym now aren’t I? Quite enjoy a good discordant gym soundtrack