What's Their Best Song? #31: David Bowie

Hello. We all love voting and ranking stuff, right? So let’s do it with some artists’ back catalogues. This will be a series of threads (unsure of timeframe etc at the moment) so if you don’t like an artist then don’t you worry your sweet ass, another will be along soon after. This time we’ll be voting on songs by DAVID BOWIE

HOW IT WORKS

So, voting will be similar to ones I’ve done before. You have 10 points to distribute however you like, across the entirety of the artist (David Bowie in this case)‘s entire catalogue of songs. Album tracks, singles, b-sides, whatever you like, if I can google it and verify that it’s by them then it can get points. You can give all 10 points to one song or 1 point to 10 songs or anything in between. I’ll then calculate the points totals and do a results thread where the boards’ favourite song by whoever the subject is will be revealed.

:rotating_light: PLEASE DM ME TO VOTE, VOTES POSTED IN THE THREADS WILL NOT BE COUNTED :rotating_light:

Any questions? Thought not, let’s get going!

General chat is encouraged, obviously.

4 Likes

Just a reminder that these threads are for music discussion only. There are plenty of places to talk about other issues surrounding Bowie, but everyone here has a different art/artist separation level and this is a WTBS that was requested a few times for people who want to discuss the musical output.

14 Likes

happy david GIF

David Bowie GIF

3 Likes

Go Away Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

So many to choose from. Reckon im just gonna 10 one though

1 Like

Agreed. This one’s gonna be pretty tricky. Might give some points to a few of the overlooked, druggy compressed pop belters on the first side of Low.

The drums on this!

4 Likes

Just made a 30-track shortlist.

1 Like

all the other songs turn to each other when they realise people are going to 10 one track:

“we could be zeros!”

cheers

11 Likes

Jesus! This is going to be a tough call to whittle this down to a short list, let alone where my final votes will go.

Hope @Funkhouser is keeping an eye on all those NME readers signing up as DiS members to rig this vote.

1 Like

oh no this is going to be too hard

oh huh, a lot easier than i thought. maybe i was being very ruthless but my shortlist was 13 songs :grinning:

not going to overthink it, just going to bloody do it

Really tempted to just kingmake Rock n Roll Suicide.

3 Likes

Pretty tricky, favourite Bowie moment is split over three tracks on Diamond Dogs. Might just pick something to (Goblin) kingmake

1 Like

Down to an easy 21 22*

*(I just remembered Magic Dance)

I know it’s not his best song, but Sound and Vision makes me so happy any time I hear it that it will always be my favourite Bowie song. 50% intro, ffs, and so silly, just makes me feel like a kid again.

The only other Bowie song I love is Modern Love. Just an absolute of-its-time banger.

14 Likes

David Bowie Dance GIF by MOONAGE DAYDREAM

1 Like

Does Tin Machine count?