What's your 90s Claim to Fame!

Has anyone got any random/funny/tenuous claims to fame from the 90s? Eg. You made some sandwiches when working in a hotel which Shakespear’s Sister ate, or you delivered a newspaper to Heavy D’s house, or you appeared in the background of a Michael Bolton video for 0.5 seconds?!

Nailed an ‘Around the World’ with my Pro Yo 2

4 Likes

I was on the front cover of the local rag shaking hands with Sean ‘hitting a woman is no big deal’ Connery. He came to my/his primary school (out of hours :roll_eyes:) for its centenary and a few of us waited around to meet him.

EDIT: Just realised this is the Music forum? I got nothing…

2 Likes

I delivered newspapers to this guy’s house for a few years. Prize to anyone who can guess who it is…

Music relation - Alanis Morissette was on his show for 5 episodes when she was 12.

1 Like

Technically it was 2000, but my first internship was at a design agency that Karl Hyde from Underworld was a part of. I worked on a website for/with him… was a bit star struck most of the time.

3 Likes

One night I was at the Gas club (automatic indie disco night, every Wednesday, pound for a bottle of pillsner all night) . Chesney Hawlks was there, so I said “alright Chesney?” as he passed. He did not respond

Later in the night I saw James Dean Bradfield sat at a corner table with both members of Shampoo

On another occasion Dennie Pennis attempted to chat up my girlfriend and other people’s girlfriends in the pub

2 Likes

Sold orange juice at Oasis’ knebworth gigs. Made a killing on the 2nd day when the sun came out. Soz, that’s all I got.

2 Likes

I was in a traffic queue on the M25 with Noel Gallagher (in the days where he was being chauffeured around in a chocolate brown Rolls Royce)

1 Like

Winter 1995 I was on a skiing package holiday with my mum and we swapped hotel rooms with a married couple as we had been given a double and they had been given a twin room. The guy’s name was Mark, and he told us he was a stunt double for Pierce Brosnan in the forthcoming Bond film. We both thought he was making it up, but then he turned up as a contestant (and series winner) on Gladiators the next year, and on that they said he was a stuntman, so felt a bit bad for doubting him.

3 Likes

Tomato ?

Cerys Matthew’s came onto me at the Columbia Hotel in 1996…

3 Likes

I was banned from a Nickelodeon chat room in 1997 (age 11) and had my family AOL account cancelled for talking about hacking.

8 Likes

My school wind band was the support act for an appearance by Wolf from Gladiators in Halifax in the late 90s.

10 Likes

messy, and not Thursday yet !

That’s the one!

that must have been pretty cool. He’s a legend. I don’t know much about design but the stuff they’ve done for UW over the years is pretty special.

It was very cool and very intimidating. I had idolised their stuff as a student, so it was a bit nerve-racking going in that first day. It was a cool place but certainly did not set me up with any reasonable expectations about how the design industry NORMALLY works…

Music forum anecdote? Was in a Strangelove video.

Non-music? Appeared on Going Live and won a competition :sunglasses: Also, related to the Gladiators chat upthread, lived down the road from Wolf (surprisingly short in real life)…

2 Likes

*around the rudolph

1 Like

Was accosted by a Kerrang! journalist outside a Feeder gig at The Electric Ballroom who played me The Memory Remains by Metallica on a Walkman and had my picture and review in the magazine

3 Likes