What's your 90s Claim to Fame!

I think a cast member from Home and Away laughed at me when I was a baby and he was opening something at the local leisure centre

1 Like

My mom saw one of the gladiators getting irked by a cash machine

2 Likes

Was on the guest list for an Ash gig at the Astoria. Wandered upstairs for the after party and bumped into Chris Evans. Then Bonehead put me and girlfriend in a taxi and sent it to some hotel in Swiss Cottage. We turned up to find Liam with a considerable amount of coke smeared around his nose and Dec from Ant &Dec on the phone to his mum. We then all departed to Guiggsy’s flat to continue the party. I drank all their JD and contemplated stealing original pressing of Sally Cinnamon. Literally every celeb I met that night was a bellend and I found out that my girlfriend was not as old as she claimed to be due to considerable hatred sent my way from her parents (understandable) and I quickly ended the relationship

5 Likes

I was on a Levellers video that they gave away to their fan club members. That was my first ever gig. I gave Benji from Dubwar and Skindred a lift after a gig to buy phone credit. Admittedly this was after 1999 but Dubwar were a thing in the 90’s so I’m using it. I also said hello to Noel Gallagher in Soho.

3 Likes

Once when I was walking home from school I saw Gary Glitter in a car wash (in his car).

An episode of Jackanory was filmed at my school with my class as extras, and I jumped when Sylvester McCoy hit the desk on front of me with a cane.

2 Likes

Winner!!

Barth from You Can’t Do That on Television??

Was going to answer “l don’t know” at first, at the risk of getting green slimed…

1 Like

Take it to the things that never existed thread, mate.

To everyone for replying: This thread is EPIC, thank you! My brother and I record a 90s music podcast (nothing commercial, just for fun then they’re uploaded to our site) and this would make a brilliant feature :smiley:
If anyone would like to come on and tell their story (it would be a pre-record over the phone, so no pressure as we can edit/start again if needed!) then please drop me a line. Either let me know here, or email studio@radiogargar.co.uk and just remind me of your story so I can keep track.

Should be a good bit of fun! :grinning::man_dancing:I’m also working on a small prize :hugs:

By the way, my own answer to this question is appearing in a Jive Bunny pop video (but having my close-up edited out) and delivering a newspaper next door to a Chuckle Brother!

We’re all #Proper90sHeroes! :grin:

Ha forgot about this thread… got literally 27 other stories … did I ever mention the time Kim Deal bought E off us?

3 Likes

Had a letter published in Powerslam magazine, doesn’t get bigger than that!

1 Like

I have a great story about The Charlatans, pulling up in their van after a gig and asking if any of us was sober enough to drive a car for them. It’s well 90s.

2 Likes

I ran a West London video shop and sold Richey Manic a copy of Apocalypse Now on VHS the week that he disappeared. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I’m happy to go with it, tbh

1 Like

Just remembered it was 2002 so can’t share I’m afraid… such an amazing story…

Steven Drozd having a lost weekend in Chorlton is another goodun… but that was also 2002 alas

Godspeed and Stretford Mall is ‘90’s but I’m sure I’ve shared that before