Whats your favourite concept album?

3 Likes

Before I decided to go with a snark answer this was my first thought too - it’s nowhere near as good as Original Pirate Material, but as a concept/story it does its job perfectly and even the weaker songs work better in the context of the album. Remember listening as if it was an audiobook or something first time round and having a proper :astonished: at the final track.

1 Like

I think Elbow’s discography of albums about “your eyes” deserves a shout, too.

2 Likes

Hadestown or hospice.

Talk to you soon.

4 Likes

@anon42112221 funnily enough I only heard the extra track yesterday. Saw someone had made a 79 minute version of the album by cutting off four minutes from the frances the mute track and some other bollocks. Will give it a listen at some point

nah you need all the bollocks to get the full effect

think that missing track is one of the best things they did tbh, crazy that they cut it but think it was label interference more than anything

Did you know that Hadestown has been made into a musical?

Because… yeah. It has.

1 Like

Black Sunday

Fall of Efrafa trilogy - though not an original story, it’s based on Watership Down

4 Likes

Yes indeed, I think it reviewed quite well?

Apparently! I just found it weird, because it came up in a youtube video I was watching about… Titanic, which was a bit of an unexpected one.

Never even listened to the album properly - should give it a listne.

It’s very very good

1 Like

Never heard of this, sounded interesting. Just on the third track, first album. Really good.

1 Like

if crusty hardcore isn’t your thing, they really slow down by the third album but it’s still as heavy

1 Like

I like crusty hardcore, amongst a lot of other music. Really good organic vibe to it.

1 Like

Got this on. It’s decent isn’t it? I remember when it came out I thought it was not decent but I was wrong

1 Like

Nocturnus - The Key

The story follows a cyborg who travels back in time to the year 0 B.C. to assassinate Jesus Christ which leads to the destruction of Christianity (highlighted by the controversial track “Destroying the Manger”) and the creation of a modern empire.

well I’m not anti-religion but I like cyborgs and death metal

also Voivid - Dimension Hatröss

which narrates the exploits of Voivod’s mascot cyborg Korgull

2 Likes

“Give me your clothes, your boots and your Frankincense”

From that list, Funeral (not a concept album), Illinois (would argue that Carrie and Lowell is a concept album and is better) and The Downward Spiral.

No on the list, but I love the Orb’s Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld.

The second album, just finished the first track, is a fair departure already. First ever listen but sounds kind of like Paradise Lost “Gothic” era meets Slint “Spiderland” head on. Liking the wild rage in the vocal, doesn’t sound faked.

Liking the artwork too, just looked on eBay, no UK vinyl?

1 Like