What's your favourite section of Roseabilty by Idlewild

Last time I saw them was the 100 Broken Windows tour which was… 2010 I think. They were still good then (but they were playing their best album). I saw the a few times around late 90’s/2000 and they were immense. In fact first gig I saw was Ash with Idlewild supporting in '98 so Hope sf Important era.

3 Likes

Didn’t realise their original singer was Edward Cullen

is that the set which ended in about 5 solid minutes of feedback, and no-one left on the stage except the bassist just lying on his back? if so… me too!

Ash supported by Idlewild. That’s a peak late-90s britrock lineup. Just needs Symposium opening

2 Likes

Hmm, can’t remember. I do remember that there was more BBC highlights on TV at the time. So there must be some footage that needs to be uploaded to 'tube. They were probably my favourite band at this time. Saw them at Reading too :slight_smile:

Ah, yes. I saw 'em on the '05 tour too I think. Supporting REM.

Aye, saw this one too. Chandelier!

nice. this is the one i was at:

1 Like

Great thread! Killer tune from a fine album…by a long chalk my favourite

…of theirs…but in my top 100 of all time too

Sadly, if memory serves me right, it was Chicks at third billing on that tour. Dari was quite a tune though.

100 Broken Windows is one of my favourite ever albums. I still buy anything they release but meh.

Last time I saw them was at the residency in Camden in 2009 when they played all the albums over three nights. I had tickets for all three nights. Unfortunately I broke my foot entering the venue on the first night as I missed the step.

I stayed regardless and then went to hospital the next day. Unfortunately I was put in a cast and couldn’t do the remaining nights, 100 broken windows was the second night, Never been so gutted…

I hadn’t listened to these guys for about a decade but worked my way through Captain, HIImportant, all the b sides and 100 BW two weeks back. Man, they were so good around this era.

Went to Glastonbury 1998 the monsoon and sewage river year. Stood in a tent waiting for them for an hour and they were so late, I was enduring theaudience setting up until finally a voice came over the PA saying that Idlewild couldn’t get their van to the tent to play due to flooding.

I so wanted them to play (plus it was so cold outside) that I just stood there in denial. And about 5 minutes later, these soaking wet scruffy guys carried in their gear on their backs. I couldn’t tell if it was actually them because of how misty the tent was.

They literally dumped guitar cases, amps, pedals etc on stage and left loads of it in the cases, but plugged in their guitars to whatever was around.

Roddy shouted something basic like ‘We’re Idlewild’ as his mic wasn’t set up and they rattled through about 8 songs in the 15 minutes window they had using the first song to soundcheck as they played it.

Along with Lightning Bolt’s set at ATP where they started playing over the Sonic Youth encore, it was the most rock n roll, exciting thing I’ve ever witnessed. By that point, most people had left the tent yet they played that short set to a mosh pit the size of a small pub like their life depended on it, and had to be forcibly removed from the stage. A load of us, complete strangers, hung around after just to talk about how awesome it was.

Amazing to think the only reason they performed like this at the time and were so visceral was because they found it awkward being on stage and were shy… Roddy shouted and rolled around because he didn’t like singing or making eye context I read somewhere.

6 Likes

that’s brilliant

2 Likes