what's your favourite wikipedia deep dive?

Had a great time reading up about the Shetland islands a while back. Depressing and compelling in equal measure.

Even just looking at how far they are away from Scotland scares me a bit.

5 Likes

Was reading about ancient incense the other day, enjoyed it

2 Likes

I was reading about Shetland yesterday. Gonna just call it Zetland to be old school.

2 Likes

In the middle of one RIGHT NOW: Transition Metals → Mercury (element) → First Emperor of China Qin Shi Huang → Terracotta Army

4 Likes

How the careers of players I once bought on Football Manager actually turned out.

6 Likes

Always used to end up looking up ‘mysterious disappearances’ when I was bored during a night shift.

The favourite one I found was this

6 Likes

wow that was quite the read!

1 Like

Love this :grinning:

2 Likes

heavy metal side projects has become the kind of thing that i automatically search when drunk. which is often,.

2 Likes

1980s civil defence/nuclear war planning mainly

5 Likes

great way to spend a friday evening

5 Likes

Fantasy/scifi lore of stuff I haven’t even read or seen. And sometimes stuff I have.

2 Likes

Aaaagh thewarn you dick I’m not going to do any work now.

3 Likes

My GF is doing a cross stitch map of the world so lately I’ve been looking up all the islands that appear on the map that I can’t name instantly. Learned about this incident on Franz Josef Land in the Kara Sea during WWII recently.

On May 30, 1944, weather inspector Gerhard Wallik and Obergefreiter Werner Blankenburg hunted and killed a polar bear. Blankenburg, who was also the station’s cook, prepared a serving of steak tartare from the animal, which was consumed by all but one member of the station’s crew. As Blankenburg had also been the one who had consumed the greatest amount of raw polar bear meat, he was the first to report pain in his legs and a high fever after a few days. Within a month, nine more members of the weather troupe fell ill, with the vegetarian paramedic Gerhard Hoffmann as the only exception. The Kriegsmarine’s medical corps remotely attested trichinosis, and the evacuation of the operation was ordered immediately.

Ghost ships.

5 Likes

nothing will make you happier to be sat in a house on dry land like reading about people walking around Antarctica, unable to see anything, running low on food and then falling in to random holes in the ice

4 Likes

just look at this lad

he was clearly hardy as FUCK

this is great but there are too many suspects (or I’m too lazy)

They beat protesters till they were unconscious and then threw them in the Seine, and then covered it up for nearly 40 years

Also, if you follow the link to Maurice Papon - the Chief of Police in Paris at the time - there is an entire rabbit hole of crimes against humanity and actual Nazi collaborators throughout the French Police force of the 50s-90s

Some of those that work forces
Are the same that burn crosses

3 Likes