When did you stop being with it?

Thought I was pretty cool, with it and in the know until about 2015 or so when I first started hearing about things like Whatsapp and Snapchat and Twitch and not knowing what they were.

So I reckon I made it to about 28 before stopping being with it, this isn’t bad is it?

probably around 2015 too, when I went through a period of hanging out with some tracksuit anarchists.

1 Like

Decline has been rapid though, these days I know fuck all

3 Likes

Maybe 2025?

3 Likes

Never was.

6 Likes

I used to be with it, but then they changed what ‘it’ was, and now what I’m with isn’t it. And what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary to me etc.

14 Likes

Probably about 28, that’s when I stopped going to lots of gigs and paying lots of attention to music and reading clever books

Depends how you define ‘with it’ though

1 Like

probs when i moved to a country where i couldn’t speak the language and didn’t know much about the culture

4 Likes

When they changed what ‘it’ was

Recoiled in horror when the tv sent me a snapchat filter pic and deleted the app

When someone referred to me as a ‘retro gamer’

When people liked deafheaven

5 Likes

People keep talking about games like Fortnite, I have no idea what these are.

2 Likes

I mean I was never cool at school but I knew about technology and stuff and I figured “I’m just part of the tech generation I’ll never be confused by gadgetry and the like”. Turns out stuff can still confuse you even when you’re brilliant

1 Like

yesterday someone a bit (but not loads and loads) younger than me took time to explain what all the emojis mean

I knew about some of them (the aubergine and the peach for example) but there are loads that have a dirty meaning I knew nothing about, and have been using just because I enjoy rockets and things. Felt like a pensioner having the concept of the internet explained to them

So I think I stopped being with it some considerable time ago

4 Likes

I’m still with it

4 Likes

remember when people were in bands? What do kids do for music now that instruments are boring?

Got really excited about my coffee delivery the other day

1 Like

oh yeah a big turning point was that I always thought Netflix and Chill meant watching tv on the sofa which is nice and romantic but then someone told me it meant fucking and I felt like a grandad

8 Likes

As Douglas Adams said:

“I’ve come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
  2. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
  3. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.”
9 Likes

I only know the :eggplant: one, what are the others?

1 Like

Have recently had some dealings with a number of 12-15 year olds and it is truly astonishing just how little I know about what they’re into these days.

1 Like