When do you reckon mainstream culture in general was at it's "worst"

You don’t have to make excuses here.

2 Likes

Yeah my wee nephew is about 5 and he was able to work the fucking mobile phone when he was about 3. He still shows me functions I wasn’t aware were there

it was prob the 50s with all that post war puritanical dogshit

re: the attitude era, one thing that continually surprises / disappoints me whenever I rewatch any of it is the crowd signs. some genuinely nasty shit held up back then like it was ok

3 Likes

Well if he’s so clever why does he not realise that hulk and superman/batman are from completely different universes?

4 Likes

Can he do it on a wet Tuesday night in Stoke (whilst holding a coffee and an umbrella)?

1 Like

I’m hopeful never to impose stoke on him
:wink:

probably the 80s.

Yeah everyone was a paedo

then again, there was Airwolf

1 Like

When Homer killed Maude Flanders and appeared not to give a shit.

2 Likes

Mainstream culture is constantly at its worst, we just don’t realise until a few years into the future.

1 Like

http://twitter.com/AEraSigns

Awful stuff

1 Like

We’re always really embarrassed about 10 years ago and fondly embarrassed about 20 years ago and full on nostalgic about 30 years ago.

1 Like

The current wave of edgelord Alt Right posturing:

• A genuine cause for concern, unignorable signs of our gradual slide into facism
  • Something pissy that a lot of people will be mortified to have been a part of as they older

0 voters

i’m almost certain the majority of those ‘edgelords’ have serious emotional/intellectual issues, though. Anecdotally, that seems to be the case anyway.

2 Likes

A lot of them seem to have latched onto the first community that made them feel valued while they felt at their most vulnerable and lonely.

2 Likes

Yeah I teach 13-14 year olds a lot from the UK and other countries and I think it’s great these days how they’re aware and thoughtful about stuff like racism, sexism, homophobia etc.

However there are basically hardly any subcultures any more, and it’s very conformist in terms of all of them listening to stuff like Ed Sheehan and Chain Smokers, and there seems a lot of pressure to be conventionally attractive/immaculate looking/have a lot of social capital because they take stuff like Instagram models and pro Youtubers to heart.

So basically they seem to treat other people better but put horrible pressure on themselves to be physically perfect according to a very narrow template.

8 Likes

aka the family guy years

Are you finding that this is because they’re generally more diverse in their tastes so don’t fit into the binary tastes that we grew up with or just like a complete conformity?

1 Like