When do you think things started going to shit?

heady summer that. i remember trying to tailgate the london marathon i think it was, on foot, making it as far as westferry with my welsh mate Dai, demolished on a box of cans we were carrying with us, eventually finding a shithole cocktail bar with a man who claimed to have invented the mojito. met my wife that summer, too. cracking year.

1 Like

Yeah 2010 is clearly when everything went shite

or

Really it was probably Reagan getting elected wasn’t it

End of the Cambrian explosion.

I take a little bit of comfort in things having always been relatively shit, give or take. It’s just every generation likes to think they are both cleverest AND have it toughest.

Thatcher got elected before Reagan

Reagan was far more important for things going to shit globally though

sounds like a double glazing company

There was a couple of years window between 96-01 where things were alright though, people didn’t quite hate us yet for the second Iraq war, the IRA had settled down, 9/11 hadn’t happened yet. The worst politics got was Tony Blair meeting the Spice Girls and Oasis.

But you’re right, compared to 99.99% of history we have things pretty sweet still.

2 Likes

the double act was the thing though so… yeah

I still have that somewhere

Tony Benn knew. Does that look like a man who gives a shiny shite about her grandchildren?

Was thinking earlier today about England’s dismal performance at the 2014 World Cup. Wasn’t our most ignominious sporting collapse but with it came this weird flat disappointment that’s never really gone away.

Probably the 15th century and the beginning of European Colonialism was a big turning point in things going to shit tbh

1 Like

Omagh was 1998. I know it wasn’t the ‘IRA’ and after the GFA, but still the deadliest incident of the whole Troubles I believe.