When the BBC News ends and you don't get the regional news through your tellybox...

Probably some rule about how no region can have HD news until they all have the capability. Come on, isle of man!!

I’ve watched the news on iPlayer before and the dickhead London news has come on after cos I hadn’t updated my region to NI

It was like a window into a whole other world

1 Like

imagine it’s just folk moaning about the underground

1 Like

alice bhandukravi though, one of the best in the game

1 Like

NI regional news is called Newsline and is usually hosted by a newsreader who really looks like my mum

It’s usually pretty effectively harrowing iirc

Incidentally Welsh news is now kind of constantly “why are we so poor? Why can’t our hospitals function?” And the answer is always something something centrism something

1 Like
  • shut it, crispboy!
  • good idea tbh
  • idgi

0 voters

As much as i think there’s clear bias in some of their politics coverage, i’d gladly pay double the £13 a month the BBC costs. Genuinely get so much use out of it, be it iPlayer, 5live, Radio 4, all them Stacey Dooley documentaries about prostitutes.

(That annoying guy usually pipes up with his wHo HaS A tV lIcEnSe nOwAdYzzzzz shite about now).

2 Likes

Pretty sure I saw this explained in that weird programme that’s like Point of View but for the news that’s on at like 5am on Sunday. Think they said it was because local news gets a pretty small budget but doing HD telly costs £££.

Is there no HD iPlayer stream or is it possible to do the regional variations on the iPlayer HD stream? (I guess the latter.)

It’s a very weird thing on the HD aerial-carried channel as I seem to remember you get sounds of helicopters and stuff like it’s meant to imply that you’re in middle of newsworthy stuff happening, don’t worry.

It’s also good because I can watch the bowls and the skiing and stuff, which I really enjoy and like balls am I getting some ridiculously expensive sports package to occasionally watch some esoteric sporting action

I don’t really watch the HD channels, they’re hidden way down the menu and there’s no need is there? “Oh good, Huw Edwards’ face in HD, now the news is so much more real.”

IME they are definitely sharper than the others but they usually break up more quickly if there are any issues with the aerial.