When the critically acclaimed album is the one AFTER the actual masterpiece...

Thanks @ma0sm for the prod.

Do you ever feel that the critically acclaimed album is the one after the actual masterpiece? You know, when the critics catch up to a band, but pour praise on their new album because they missed the boat on the “actual” masterpiece that preceded it.

If so, post / argue away!

PS this thread is in tribute to Mark Lanegan, who probably never produced a duff record, but for whom Sweet Oblivion (as Screaming Trees) will always be better than Dust (for me)…

2 Likes

TVOTR - a lot of critics were praising Dear Science to high heavens cos they’d missed the boat on Return to Cookie Mountain

obviously that has changed with time though

19 Likes

Yes, very good shout - RTCM was clearly head and shoulders above the debut and the follow up. Dear Science was a mess (and the start of their decline).

Good thread. So many bands and albums would fit this for me.

The ones that immediately comes to mind is Yo La Tengo’s I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One. Absolutely love this album. It’s always my go to for YLT and can easily listen to it three times on repeat like I did for months in the late 90s during commuting. Their subsequent one And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out seemed to get all the rave reviews

Also, Modest Mouse’s Lonesome beats The Moon and Antarctica hands down. Lonesome is a 10/10 classic whereas Antarctica seems to get the critical acclaim.

7 Likes

Ah, now I’d go a step back with YLT and say Electr-o-pura, but then I can see how ICHTHBAO is just as good, in a different way. ATNTIIO is still wonderful though. Probably the best ever 17 (whatever) minute track on an album in the closer.

5 Likes

Yes
Barack Obama Applause GIF by Obama

8 Likes

Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen got all the critical praise, but both Lazer Guided Melodies and Pure Phase are far better albums IMO.

11 Likes

(Sorry for the repeat posts but…)

PJ Harvey’s Is This Desire? is again her masterpiece for me whereas Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea got the acclaim and the Mercury award.

Stories… is brilliant but Is This Desire? is again my go to Polly Harvey album.

14 Likes

Blue Bell Knoll and Heaven Or Las Vegas

7 Likes

This is 1000% correct.

1 Like

Agree with 'cow - electr-o-pura is better than ICHTHBAO (which is their most critically acclaimed, no?) (but ATNTIIO is the best soz)

4 Likes

Modern Life is Rubbish makes Parklife look like The Great Escape

13 Likes

Moon is actually superior tho so

7 Likes

Felt like a grand don’t come for free was more critically acclaimed on release than original pirate material but history has rightly been kinder to OPM

10 Likes

Super Troopers Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

4 Likes

Bit obvious but Revolver > Sgt Peppers.

If that’s not spicy enough for you then you could make the argument that Rubber Soul is even better still.

17 Likes

Halcyon Digest seems to be considered the best Deerhunter album, but imo Microcastle is superior! Not sure how this one fits though since they were already critical darlings by the time of Microcastle.

6 Likes

This was a recent topic on the Mitski thread, but still very firmly in the Puberty 2 is brilliant while Be The Cowboy is merely very good camp.

7 Likes

Spoon

Gimme Fiction is better than Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

7 Likes

For me this is pretty much the pattern for her whole career: Release masterpiece, watch the follow up gather the plaudits.

Think her most highly regarded albums are ‘To Bring You My Love’, ‘Stories…’ and ‘Let England Shake’ but for me her best records are ‘Rid Of Me’, ‘Is This Desire?’ and ‘White Chalk’.

3 Likes