When was the last time you played tennis? šŸŽ¾

2000/2001 probably since it would have definitely been when I was still at school. Canā€™t remember my style too well except for the fact that I didnā€™t have a lot of power in either my serve or my backhand so relied on forcing the forehand to win points.

Well I played tonight, usually play two times a week

I am a unorthodox player who hasnā€™t really learnt technique but am tall and fast so get around the court, nice swinging serve on the ad court and good forehand but very bad second serve and dodge backhand.

1 Like

Last year. Iā€™ve been playing since I was a kid but so sporadically that Iā€™m quite crap. Some years will have a good go at it over summer and see some improvement but then the next year will return to a low baseline.

Really really enjoy it though, despite the shitness. See also, surfing.

Also, the free courts in the park next to us have just been made for booking rather than ad hoc use. Supposedly a charge coming too. Fuming.

1 Like

First day of the 2019/20 football season cos I went to the pub after and Liverpool v Norwich was on. Played my friend who I always beat. Used to play in a league thing organised online which I enjoyed because there was a wide range of opponents and courts where I lived were free. People always said I had a good serve. Forehand is terrible but 2 handed backhand is serviceable and I used to be pretty handy at the net. Thinking about joining a club, but itā€™s a club and Iā€™m a bit of a wimp. There are no other opportunities to play where I live though.

1 Like

Pretty much the same as me. I rarely lose any points if I get my first serve in, but my success rate for that is around 25%ā€¦

My mum was a pretty decent club player and always says to me and my brother ā€œwhy didnā€™t you get into tennis more?ā€

To which we always point out that whenever we went to play as a family she made us serve over arm at ages maybe 6 to 9, so we always lost all our service games to double faults, then made us sit and watch whilst her and my dad played each other. So it started out as a fun trip, was okay when we knocked up then became miserable.

The point that always sticks in my mind was when she hit a shot that was going miles out, and would need to be fetched from the fence about 4 courts away, so I jumped up and blocked it to save the hassle, and she claimed the point anyway.

2 Likes
  1. used to use the university tennis courts which felt really fancy and there were cherry blossoms everywhere but also an incredible amount of empty tins of nutrient on the floor. no style just trying to get it over the net but without hitting it too high
1 Like

Sixth class. So about 1988.
I hate tennis so much. I canā€™t describe it. I hate everything about it. Even typing this as made me angry.

Sorry. Enjoy your thread.

1 Like

My mum is also another vote for not being able to stand tennis club people.

1 Like

a mother vote!
iā€™m lucky i have free courts near me even though theyā€™re a bit crap and built on a slight slope. would like to get classes but not join a club.
the local tennis leagues thing in the UK is pretty fun, joined when i lived in Newcastle and played loads of games against strangers on public courts

Won again yesterday
3-6, 6-4, 7-6
tenor

2 Likes

I play every Tuesday night with a friend. Played a lot pre age 12 then picked it back up in college cos the girl I liked loved to play (we r married now). She played high school tennis so we are pretty evenly matched. I was two handed back hand until a few years agoā€¦ after watching federers backhand so much and thinking how smooth that looked I just went to the courts and practiced it for a day or so and never looked back. Itā€™s way more wild but I feel like I have more options with it being one handed, plus itā€™s more fun imo.

1 Like