When you don’t know a song is a cover and then you hear the original and it blows your mind

I’ve never heard this before today and now I don’t think life will ever be the same again

I don’t listen to much yo la tengo so I’m sure it was explicitly a cover to most people, I just thought it was a nice song they did. The original, though WOAHHH :exploding_head:

1 Like

Until recently, only knew that one as a BWB (Bob Williams Banger). Assumed it was another triumph co-penned with the god G. Chambers. Sorely mistaken! But speaks volumes about the degree to which he made it his own. Thanks Robbie.

3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

At risk of setting off the QI Klaxon

2 Likes

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is a classic example of this - the song sounds completely different for ever when you realise it was written and originally sung by a man.

1 Like

I think it’s a good example of a song that’s been completely transformed in people’s consciousness by the most popular version and what that represents. Similar to Nothing Compares 2 U I guess. Also this has reminded me that one day I need to write my long-read about Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow.

3 Likes

Imagine after hearing a mumbled, acoustic piece of crap you find out the song is really an electro goth banger. :open_mouth:

10 Likes

Came here to post this but I like the Gonzalez cover.

Prefer the original though.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say it blew my mind but it was a surprise

4 Likes

Despite this always appearing in those ‘10 Songs You Didn’t Know Were Cover Versions’ lists I’d forgotten about this. This is one of those songs where the cover is so well know and so strongly associated with the artist that it’s the original that sounds like some half-arsed cover version.

1 Like

First time I heard this it FUCKED me up. So, so good.

1 Like

Only just discovered this isn’t a Carpenters original

This track suits all over the Norman cook version which seems loads better known in this country at least. Those 808s!

2 Likes

The Norman Cook track is just a mix of that with the bass line from Guns of Brixton tacked on isn’t it? He’s made a lot of money from other people’s talent over the years.

2 Likes

It also has the harmonica from once upon a time in the West in it!

Although I think he did rerecord the original rather than sample it. I think

1 Like