When you don’t know a song is a cover and then you hear the original and it blows your mind

not in my experience, but surprised at how well original did- 5 in uk chart. before my time. baby d made it to 3. I knew the beck version, but not korgis until relatively recently.

1 Like

two more daft punk took riffs from…
I love you more

release the beast

1 Like

Just a French Norman Cook aren’t they.

Normand Chef

3 Likes

Oh well, Korgis is the one I would go to :slight_smile:

Another triple track is this one

Blondie obviously, anyone remember who also took it number one?

Doesn’t really have the same revelatory effect in my view because the Blondie version is just your standard issue lightweight cod-reggae copy of the brilliant original (and I love Blondie).

(Atomic Kitten btw. I’m not proud)

Doesn’t quite fit the remit but I’m currently a bit obsessed by this so I’m going to post it anyway. I was blown away by it and it’s the original. It’s just that the version I previously knew was by George Harrison who wrote it. But he wrote it for Ronnie and then changed nothing except the vocals for his ‘not really a cover version’.

Oh and Bowie did a version too apparently.

Speaking of G-Haz:

3 Likes

yeah I almost posted this. Think this shows there’s a real art to doing a good cover version - think GH really makes this his own even though the original is great in a different way.

1 Like

I love this German 60’s pop cover of Black Sabbath.

The Corrs had quite a bit of success with this one. The original has more meaning when you hear the lyrics. Just a year before he died…

Had no idea. Original is awesome… listened to it quite a few times today

1 Like
1 Like

Bowie covered it on Reality in 2003

1 Like

The amount of time in my life where I thought Isolation was a Therapy? album track compared to the amount of time where I knew it was a Joy Division song is embarrassingly lopsided.

2 Likes

korgis is my favourite too, was just on about what’s more known. probably difficult to prove either way

Got the Time by Anthrax is a Joe Jackson cover?!

2 Likes

It was a very long time before I new this was a cover from Bjork. it’s coincidentally the one song that put my wife off her for ages so it’s comforting fir her now that it wasn’t actually hers

1 Like

Which itself is a cover of this!

This is from the Music League about Duets and Collaborations. I was a bit shocked to realise that As was originally by Stevie Wonder and not by George Michael and Mary J. Blige. I definitely thought it had imprints of George Michael’s songwriting style, but that shows how much I know!

Cover:

Original:

Wait until you hear about Diane!

3 Likes