When you order food off a menu

In a restaurant/cafe, do you have a standard technique? For example, I like to whittle it down to 2 or 3 options then just see which name comes out of my mouth when it’s time to order, whereas Mrs F just finds something straight away and sticks to it throughout the decision process. Tell me about your menu techniques please.

3 Likes

I do this too

7 Likes

god remember ordering food in person off a menu.

20 Likes

I like the element of not knowing until I’ve said it.

usually whittle it down to 2 options and leave it up to the last few seconds to decide

keyword of this thread: whittle

3 Likes

I do it your way

I also try and make sure I order 2nd (out of 2) so I don’t choose the same thing

I make a shortlist of options and then choose the things I want that Wor Lass hasn’t ordered.

I hate ordering exactly the same meal as other people in a restaurant.

1 Like

I ask the waiter to bring me a spoonful of the food. I eat it, nod to Mrs CCB and then orde the full meal.

6 Likes

On the odd occasion it’s gone wrong, when what’s come out of my mouth isn’t what my heart truly desires.

1 Like

read whole menu. pick one thing. pick a backup.

if no one else has chosen my #1 go with that otherwise go with #2

2 Likes

Oh there’s always a long period of regret between ordering and the food coming but you have to learn to live with it.

basically, its never really a problem for me. I’ve usually decided what I want to eat before entering the premises (like, I fancy fish, pasta, a steak, or fish and chips today), and ideally, I’ve either looked at a menu online before or am already acquainted with the menu. very rarely tempted by a special.

1 Like

Why wouldn’t you eat the same thing as someone else if it’s what you wanted?

2 Likes
  • Ordering the same thing as someone else at the table doesn’t bother me
  • Different meals for everyone

0 voters

Sometimes I accidentally order “mushroom risotto”

3 Likes

It’s my absolute fucking pet hate when at a restaurant, someone else reads out options from the menu as suggestions to me when I’m sat looking at it too. My mum, and her mum both do this, and it drives me bonkers, probably quite irrationally. “Ooh you could have the lasagne, you like lasagne don’t you?” YES I DO BUT I CAN SEE THE SAME WORDS. RAGE.

7 Likes

can’t both order the same thing

3 Likes

Miss fopp’s always insists that we order different dishes but then doesn’t want to share.

1 Like

Why though? We had the same rolls on Saturday :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Divorce