When you used tech for the first time and thought it was incredible

obsolete
tech

Just bought a new television and remembered when I bought one 10 years ago needing two strong blokes to carry it into the lounge… but thinking that it was the future.

So: first experiences of tech which now seem very dated

Getting a Game Boy

when we got the internet for the first time in 2003 and I opened up a multiplayer pool game on miniclip. Fucking blew. my. mind.

Using an iPhone for the first time (a display model in a shop) and browsing the actual internet on it, just like the real thing.

First time I used the internet was to go on a Christian Yahoo Chatroom to troll people. Of course it wasn’t called trolling then, that came later.

Getting a Wii U and playing Mario Kart 8, the last video game I’d played was probably Pokemon Silver on Gameboy Advance and the graphics in Mario Kart floored me

1st Sky Plus box that allowed you to record shows with no tapes, series links, pause live TV etc

When I got my 1st Internet ready PC in 1999 I remember having to wait ages for a Phantom Menace trailer to load up, and still being impressed.

Also lots of South Park animations

Playing on a friends GameGear in class - it’s in colour!!!

First office job in 1987, I was asked by the senior partner to take a two-page document to The Smith Partnership in the city centre because ‘Mr Smith has one of those new fax machines’.
I watched as the secretary sent the document via fax. It was like some sort of voodoo.

Me and my mate set up a LAN back in the day so we could play Airfix Dogfighter. When it actually worked – the magic.

CD burners… wo

First game of Wii Tennis felt like genuine magic

Playing Pong on my mate Mark’s console sometime in the late 70s.

Having a friend download song lyrics for me from the internet, without really knowing what the internet was.

Someone sending me a demo by email attachment seemed absolutely mental the first time.

Also the first time turning on the first pc I built. Fucking nervewracking!

Pong was brilliant. That and Space Invaders

Not quite answering the question in the OP, but I had this experience very strongly when using PSVR for the first time. I’m sure it will seem very dated when we’re all having photo-realistic immersive worlds projected onto our retinas in a few years’ time…

Oh also using google maps on a phone to navigate a city. Couldn’t imagine life without it now!

Yeah. That was massive. I found a blank CD clearing out my loft a few years ago and it still had the price tag on it - was about £4.99! For 1!

My Dad’s work gave him a mobile phone in the 80’s - one of those classic Gordon Gecko ones. I remember meeting him in London one day and getting the train back home with him. We got to the station before our one and he rang a taxi from his mobile - people were watching on in amazement. Was pretty cool.

it burns at x4 speed :open_mouth:

Terminator 2
I remember watching open-mouthed when the floor tiles at the prison/asylum moulded into the prison guard