when you'll pay more than you have to

Would love to live near an independent let shop. Didn’t know there was such a thing.

Watching the dogs get shampooed in the back of pets at home is never a bad day out though

Eggs. Have started paying well over the odds for good eggs recently because the difference is so stark. Good free range eggs make supermarket eggs (even ‘organic’ ‘free range’ etc from yer sainos) look insipid and grey.

4 Likes

I aways prefer to get the posher bronze-cut dried pasta. Still makes for affordable dinners, and find the texture far more satisfying than the cheapest stuff.

1 Like

This is the one. The second everything opens I’m coordinating you me and any other DiSers to come sit in a museum cafe and have coffee/tea cake for a whole day, on me,

5 Likes

Paying quarterly on the gas and electric as I don’t trust them not to end up massively in credit with direct debit (justifiably it seems as there was a news story about just that I saw this morning) and I’d rather pay them what I actually owe them. But the cheapest tariffs are only available on direct debit, so they get you whatever you do.

I have been trying to try and get around using Amazon, which by default costs more 99% of the time but obv worth it if you can find an indie equivalent.

3 Likes

Sellotape

buying some rizla individually from the shop a couple of doors down when there are a bunch of shops 5 minutes further which sell loads in multipacks.

Pretty extravagant when you could pick up a thick novel from a chazzer for 20p and roll up with that

2 Likes

When it’s gone 10pm and I want more booze. I paid £11.99 for a bottle of Blossom Hill the other week :grimacing:

I’ll only go to Waitrose if I need extras on top of my home delivery from Sainsburys. Every other supermarket is over-stimulating and makes me want to cry with rage. Though there’s probably not much in it cost-wise tbh

2 Likes

Beer shop 2 mins round from my flat is probably the most expensive one in the city but just too convenient to bother going anywhere else (and they’re good people)

I’m 40 next month…sliding further into decadence day by day

Going to any pub other than a spoons.

Generally only go to them with my dad as he has completed his transformation into an official Wetherspoons Fan

There’s a bakery near me that supplies bread and pastries to some cafes and pubs that are opening to purely sell groceries at the moment, so I try and rotate my bread and cinnamon bun buying across the various cafes and pubs, for a little bit more than the actual bakery prices.

This is a very minor one.

I’m lucky to live near a really good independent pet shop at the moment. Don’t mind paying a bit more - really friendly, helpful, nice shop dog to say hello to and meet other dogs too. All great.

And the prices really aren’t much more, used to live somewhere where the local pet shops were double the cost of ordering online and just couldn’t afford to support them.

1 Like

I stock up whenever one of the fancier brands are on sale

The disappearance of Rumo pasta from sainos shelves was a dark day

1 Like

I stopped buying Happy eggs a while back. Just try and buy local free range now.

Bulk buying Rizla feels wrong

I’ve recently belatedly realised that Raw papers are well worth the upgrade over basic Rizla

1 Like

toilet paper. Stopped buying Asda own brand as the process of unrolling it to begin with was like a puzzle you don’t need when you want to wipe your bum and get on with your day.

Ohhh yeah, Raw papers for the win. The hemp ones are nice.

and yeah, bulk buying does feel wrong. Think that’s why i still don’t most of the time as usually i lose them before all packets are used anyway, or you end up with a few on the go at once which is just messy

1 Like