Where Do Eels Come From?

Is that at University or Eelamentary school?

3 Likes

Awesome. Thanks! I’ve read a few articles and understand they all come from the Sagrasso Sea but as far as I’ve read they’ve never been witnessed actually spawning there but larvae has been found…and I’m really confused/intrigued…so an expert insight would be very appreciated!

london

3 Likes

the oldest eel was 155. Seems so unfair that people eat them. Leave the eels alone

3 Likes

is it better to eat elderly animals or ones in the prime of life. that 155 year old eel has probably had enough

1 Like

Said ooh girl
Shock me like the origin of eels

3 Likes

grim subject but I was probably thinking more it’s better to eat something that only lives for a year or two than something that has the potential to live for 150 years but I guess morality is complicated

1 Like

I think w should only eat incredibly old things, that’s my position that I’ve held for 4 minutes and I can’t be moved

8 Likes

tree soup for you then

7 Likes

I think to be honest that’s it. From what I’ve heard from him the European eels live in rivers and migrate out to sea to spawn.

I do remember reading somewhere about a theory that you get eels that don’t migrate and end up growing massive and living for ages. Not sure if it’s true though
https://retrieverman.net/2009/07/14/the-giant-eel-theory/

2 Likes

they found that big mushroom that was a billion years old, I’ll eat that

3 Likes

Ooh OK! That’s interesting, and another eel based rabbit hole for me to go down. Giant eels!

I suppose its kind of like Salmon (in a way) that go freshwater to saltwater and back to freshwater.

1 Like

Think it was talked about on The Maths of Life a while back and it freaked me the fuck out. They have wild lifespan, eh?

1 Like

Ooh OK! I didnt hear thay but might have to seek that out too. Its surreal though right?

Thanks everyone for eelongating this thread

4 Likes

Their willies

3 Likes

I’m sure we could go on some moray…

1 Like

Must admit that my sea life puns peaked with “crust station” earlier

3 Likes

Yeah, that whole 4 stages thing is so weird. Not sure if there are other examples of similar cycles - it’s not even like they just swim upstream or anything, they actually transform. Mad.

1 Like

That’s top tier sea life pun to be fair.