Where should I (you) live?

Hi

Looking for inspiration and a bit of daydreaming.

Bored of where I am now (big city suburbs). Cant complain at all about my housing situation really …BUT

I want to go elsewhere.

What’s on your dream location wish list?

My criteria:

Rural-ish, in a village or outside a small market town.
Garden
Good weather, not bothered about winters but must have a good summer.
Not too far from international transport links as family are spread far and wide.
Don’t care about museums.
I quite like water so near a lake or the sea
Good for cycling
Need to be able to move and work there with my shitty blue brexit passport :unamused:

The last one is the sticking point and probably going to lead to me being tied down here for at least the medium term. :disappointed_relieved:

Probably San Sebastián

2 Likes

pretty much the same as you, except i’ve sort of resigned myself to staying in the SE of England :sob:

Big city
Balcony
Don’t care about the weather
Good international transport links
Museums and art galleries
Don’t care about the sea
Don’t care about cycling
Need to be able to walk to work

Conclusion: London!

3 Likes

High Weald area near Bewl Water (big lake) - maybe Wadhurst as has a station which goes to London. An hour’s drive to Gatwick (hour and a half by train), 40 mins to Hastings/seaside.

Probably mega expensive though.

You’re not actually Dutch it turns out.

3 Likes

Brexit really does narrow that search down doesn’t it.

1 Like

Near the seaish
Near mountainsish
Easy to get to a big city
Good pubs and restaurants
Green spaces
Good weather

Somewhere just outside Glasgow, which is where I am now(20 miles), would fit the bill if it wasn’t for the weather.

1 Like

I go cycling whenever I’m in Holland, but it’s not important enough to determine where to live

I’d like

Garden for the dog
Lots of lovely public parks
Thriving independent cinemas
Lots of nice cafes
Not too far from decent travel options
Decent weather - not too long/harsh winter, not just dark most of the time.
Not too insular
Housing situation not insane
Pollution and hayfeaver situation not too awful

1 Like
3 Likes

for what i need now, at 36 years young, i’m in the perfect place pretty much. except would prefer a detached rather than being in a flat.

but in 10 years you’ll find me in paris or tokyo.

I like where I live, sorry

2 Likes

Really fancy the idea of living in a log cabin in the wilderness in North America somewhere. Surrounded by mountains, lakes, rivers, cool wildlife (no bears please).

1 Like

Dorset is on my list actually

A nice village in Sussex would work and it would mean you get to go cycling with me :grinning:

2 Likes

me too:

City life - museums, art, gigs, etc
Sea
countryside
Good transport links to visit family, London, etc.

1 Like

I do quite like tory West Sussex but the bits I know are still a bit busy imo (loads of traffic everywhere, proximity to london)

Love where I live now, never want to move. Everything we need is within walking distance, loads of green space too. And when there isn’t a pandemic on there are two great indie cinemas, loads of amazing restaurants, a really good live music scene and a huge range of other stuff to do. Only downside is that we’ll never be able to afford a house here, although we’re fortunate enough to own a really nice flat.

1 Like

Oh and Labour have an enormous majority here.