Where to start with Krautrock?

Get the PDF of Julian cope’s krautrocksampler

can - tago mago is a winner

1 Like

really hard to get hold of that book for a decent price. Thought I’d scored one for £15 a few years back. Mega excited until it turned up and I realised it was the german edition :frowning:

1 Like

fuck this record is 10 years old next year :open_mouth:

Germany

3 Likes

Links 2 3 4

1 Like

Or like Faust!

6 Likes

well krautrock isn’t really a thing anyway so it doesn’t really matter :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

People who are very into what is termed “krautrock” sometimes use the alternate term “Kosmische Musik” (not sure of the spelling, apologies to any German members). While many of those artists/bands have a certain similar recognisable sound, you need to be aware that there is a big difference between, say, Can, Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream/Klaus Schulze, all of whom get lumped into “krautrock”.

I’m not that fond of Can, but I can say that the two albums that seem to get the most accolades are Tago Mago, and Ege Bamyasi.

Faust IV by Faust. Includes the track ‘Krautrock’, plus this slow burning psych-pop gem:

1 Like

ooh #mademethink

1 Like

A response to whoever it was that criticised the lack of “tunes” in certain krautrock releases: I think many of those artists are less concerned with generating tunes as such, and more concerrned with sonic atmospheres, “ambient” if you like, though often a very up-tempo and danceable form of ambient. Kraftwerk - “Autobahn” is a well-known case in point; when you analyse it there is very little in the way of a melody line at all, it’s more an attempt to generate a sonic impression of fast cars speeding along a highway. Same could be said for Neu! - “Hallogallo”, and for much of Tangerine Dream’s work.Krautrock doesn’t seem to go in for lots of karaoke-friendly numbers.

Any one of the three Neu! albums.
Zuckerzeit by Cluster
Musik Von Harmonia by Harmonia
Future Days, Tago Mago or Ege Bamyasi by Can

definitely DON’T start with this

but it is quite fun

1 Like

Ash Ra Tempel

They (he) have influenced a number of English bands including Pink Floyd and Porcupine Tree.

I started with Can’s Monster Movie and never looked back.

OOOFT.

Actually, now that I think of it, some have described some of the music I make as Kosmiche. Akin to Harmonia and Cluster apparently!

Remember when Kraftwerk sounded like Black Sabbath?

1 Like

Oh, Harmonia are brilliant! I fucking LOVE Deluxe.

That sense of optimism is evident in all good Krautrock I think. Just so forward thinking.

YESSSSSSSSS