Which is your favourite border change in history?

Look, you could say this is secretly a geography thread hiding behind the history week branding, but you’d be wrong.

Which is your favourite border change in history?

5 Likes

When Hampshire got rid of those nudey-beach wig-off shed-perverts to Dorset

3 Likes

Don’t know about favourite, but I’ve always pondered about Alsace being in France but Alsations being German Shepherd Dogs

2 Likes

that’s my favourite too

1 Like

probably in 1974 when bournemo-

oh ffs

1 Like

As an Englishman I’ve sworn off liking border changes

Probably the establishment of the Spain/Portugal border between 1143 and 1267. It’s the longest continual surviving border in the Europe, one of the oldest in the world, and at 900 or so years one of the longest surviving in all history. It’s also a different official length (as in miles) depending if you ask Spain or Portugal

2 Likes

any idea when they moved the border so that portugal doesn’t go all the way to the top?

10 Likes

probably when the British border in Northern Ireland was dissolved from a hard to a soft border thanks to the EU single market/customs unions and the GFA

4 Likes

I liked it when Eric used up all the Eric’s and became Alex

1 Like

this one was very pragmatic

5 Likes

“In 1463 San Marino was extended with the communities of Faetano, Fiorentino, Montegiardino, and Serravalle, after which the country’s borders have remained unchanged.”

makes me really happy that San Marino’s just been there in the middle of Italy doing its own thing for the last 550 years for no real reason, being really picturesque and cool and chillin out

2 Likes

They were offered loads more land at some point too (forget why) and they were like ‘…Nah, it’s fine’

1 Like

such good lads. they know they’ve got a good thing going. god tier country

1 Like

This isn’t really about borders, but it’s not about historical figures either, so I thought I’d post it here.

This thread is interesting:

(Garius is worth following on twitter for historical thread like those)

I don’t know anything about the history and can’t remember what the place is called, but I like this bit between Egypt and Sudan that neither country claims because their border is documented differently in two different… documents, and each country agrees with the document that gives them the bit with the coastline and not the other bit

3 Likes

Yes!!! Some American dude ‘claimed’ it a while ago too and made his daughter a Princess. And both Egpyt and Sudan are like ‘… Yeah, fine’

1 Like

Apparently it’s the first and only international boarder with zip wire across it.

You can cross from Zambia to Zimbabwe via a zipline.

I can’t believe i read such a brazen lie. I’m now both furious and embarrassed.

3 Likes