Which piece of music calms your mind?

Always Loscil

1 Like

Came here to post Eno’s An Ending (Ascent)

3 Likes

First Narrows is a go-to for me

1 Like

If I’m feeling a wreck I struggle to listen to music at all, but sometimes something noisy can be cathartic like Converge, Merzbow, Zu…

3 Likes

Yeah, I feel this - Oceanic by Isis is one of my go-to catharsis records.

4 Likes

Oh yeah. Oceanic is the perfect balance between skull-crushingly heavy and sparseness.

1 Like
1 Like

I find the Garbage EP by Autechre good for this, every track is so easy to drift in and out of and just loose yourself.

In a Beautiful place out in the country by BoC still sounds lovely to this day

Julianna Barwick also seems ot have the magic touch:

and finally, Carlton Melton just allow me to drift off in bliss on this album

4 Likes

These tend to do the trick…

& Willam Basinski as mentioned further up the thread

2 Likes

Aphex Twin’s most pure ambient stuff is the zenith for me. Particularly Lichen, Rhubarb, Blue Calx, Stone In Focus. Timeless, dream like, transcendent.

1 Like

Probably this

4 Likes

There are so many but I always return to this when my mind needs soothing

1 Like

When Im annoyed and need some aggressive music Old Man Gloom & Converge works well aswell

I listened to this as I did a lot of travelling, saw some of the most amazing places in the world listening to this. It always calms me down. Beautiful electronica / post rock.

Another vote for heavy over ambient for this.

Find something like old Skullflower really amazing in that you can sink in and be completely enveloped in it.

1 Like

Tons, but these two in particular:

Oh, and I find the Final Fantasy XIII Balamb Garden theme impossibly relaxing too. Thank you to the intrepid Youtuber who recorded and uploaded a 30-minute long loop :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For me it’s the wonderfully soothing, comforting music of Ichiko Aoba.

Been listening to a lot of the FF8 soundtrack recently, it is so good.