Whisk(e)y Thread

Since it’s start a thread day, here is one for whisk(e)y. I am having this right now and it is very nice

Tell us what whisk(e)y you are drinking or enjoying from wherever in the world it came from. Ask questions about whisk(e)y, I or others might know the answer. It’s up to you. Whisk(e)y!

If nobody replies to this thread I blame @harru

8 Likes

I like whisk(e)y whenever I have it but I know next to nothing about it.

My bro bought my dad a bottle of Lagavulin for his birthday once and that was very nice?

Man I’m in the mood for some whiskey now

1 Like

Lagavulin is a very good whisky - a fine choice. Made in Scotland’s most amusingly shaped stills, IMHO

xcsm__MG_6743_6badf14bad2_9acd883c0756a6611c3bcfd6f1f5ed70_648d702d44.jpg.pagespeed.ic.f893X7o4m4

5 Likes

The problem with whiskey is it gets you very drunk. Nice though.
I actually get into lots of arguments on whiskey, tend to avoid in general.

3 Likes

I am drinking this:

In the cupboard i also have:

Bushmills black bush
The Irishman founders reserve
Glendalough
Teeling single pot still
Wild turkey (does this count??)
Laphraoig (sp)

I love whiskey

8 Likes

Also at work this week i got into a week long email argument with a french person about whether the (e) is necessary or not

That looks very tasty! Not many Scotch single malts are tripled distilled, usually double distillation is preferred. It sacrifices a bit of smoothness & sweetness and elegance for extra flavour.

5 Likes

NGL, Scotch whisky types get very stressed if you put an e in there

3 Likes

I do not know who these people are, but they can have a like anyway

Currently have on the shelf:

Jameson
Kilbeggan
Pogues

Can’t quite put my finger on why I love Irish and Japanese whiskies but can’t really get on with Scotch. Highland Park is quite nice though.

2 Likes

I know almost nothing about whisky, but the chap on the right is Nick Offerman, who plays Ron Swanson in the show Parks and Recreation (and who is a big fan of Lagavulin)

Next!!

This is really very good but a bit…pretentious? Wrong word, can’t think of the right one.

Basically - Glendalough is an old monastery in the mountains in the national park in Wicklow, Ireland. Their whiskey however is made elsewhere (by Jameson, I think) and then only at the end, shipped to them and finished in oak barrels using the local wood.

it is good though

2 Likes

Scotch is definitely less smooth and mellow and “elegant” than Irish whiskey - perhaps that’s part of it? Triple distillation again. Japanese whisky is usually made in the Scotch style, but usually to the lighter end of the spectrum of styles. Japanese whiskey is great!

3 Likes

Looks right up my street tbf.

Yeah it’s the smoothness I like i think. Might make 2022 the year I make myself like scotch.

2 Likes

I acquire whisky (for nothing) far faster than I can drink it

4 Likes

Go Speyside or Lowlands region as your first forays, they’re probably the ones you’ll get on with the best

Or just go ‘fuck it, I fancy some TCP’ and get stuck into the Laphroaig. That’s what finally got me into whisky!

2 Likes

We do a Speyside-aged porter at my work which is delicious so I reckon I’ll give that a go.

1 Like

mmmm, whisky-cask aged beer

1 Like