Who are the worst lyricists?

they’re the best tho

That new robbie williams clunker is quite something. Russian, concussion, discussion. Ugh, not sure if chambers is involved.

1 Like

The prick from Sigur Ros. Half of it isn’t even words.

5 Likes

Even as a casual fan I don’t think you can say Moz is one of the worst lyricists. Some howlers to his name for sure, but he’s still prized and imitated as a writer - even though he’s usually at his most creative with titles these days…

It’s interesting - a lot of people mentioned in this thread were either ok or at least connecting in their youth but now bland to the max. Is it 1st love, or 1st angst that raises the game of otherwise shit songwriters?

Could Ian Curtis be a bland, boring, lyricist now if he’d lived?

1 Like

Would argue this - he’s often uninspired - but always has a recognisable style. I also quite like his thing of throwing in a WTF line every so often. See ‘boring and stuff/calling my bluff’ - which I’m convinced is there to wake people up.

1 Like

doesn’t stop them being bad lyrics

My best friend’s from Poland and, um, he has a beard.

that geezer from the killers

1 Like

think you can accept that someone can write great, enjoyable songs but with pretty shit lyrics. say hello to the angels is amazing but ‘your hair is so pretty and red/ baby baby youre really the best’ has to be the worst line ever.

1 Like

Johnny Borrell has a few classics.

‘What a drag it is
The shape I’m in
Well I go out somewhere
Then I come home again’

‘Yesterday was easy
Happiness came and went
I got the movie script
But I don’t know what it meant’

3 Likes

‘I met a GIRL, she ARSKED me my name… I told her what it WAS’

2 Likes

Y’know who got a pretty massive free pass re: shit, shit lyrics?

Kurt Cobain
edit: I know a lot of it was dumb on purpose but jeez

and every single line of ‘golden touch’

Love NIN, but Trent Reznor isn’t much cop in the lyrics department.

1 Like

Think I’m more extreme than @josephk, in that I think Banks is genius, and the um beard line is just brilliant.

But it might be that I’ve just listened to that album so many times that every word is imbued with too much of my own ideas.

Opening with the brilliance of that one line through ‘untititled’, and then closing with the incredible tenderness of Leif Erikson lets him get away with all the creepy/manic shit inbetween.

1 Like

what annoys me more is when a usually incredible lyricist has the occasional bad line. like sufjan singing “in a matter of speaking im dead” when it definitely should be “manner of speaking.” like, just google it mate.

Edit

That could almost be one of Kiedis’ raps.

Simon Neil is guilty of some fucking awful lyrics.

“The midget is frigid I put it to you”

“I pronounce it aluminium, 'Cause there’s an I next to the U and M”