Who's the biggest band you've seen in a small-ish venue?

I saw The Rapture there. They were pretty good.

how did I miss sugarcubes there?
saw them at digbeth irish centre the next time round

Saw the Radiohead play a gig in a record shop in Leicester. Hardly anyone in the store and they played about three songs with one of them being Pop Is Dead. I must admit I wouldn’t have put money on them being huge after that

I saw Rocket From The Crypt play in a record shop (Beano’s) in Croydon just as On A Rope was coming out. Tiny stage, loads of band members, mosh pits between the CD racks. Crazy.

TJs in Newport (RIP) held a few punk rock gigs that stick in my mind from the tail end of the 90s - the Ataris, Propagandhi, Converge.

Glad I caught Explosions in the Sky in/on the Thekla in Bristol, they sounded great there. I didn’t think it would be the same in the Colston Hall so gave that a miss.

I saw EITS on the Thekla. One of the most boring things I’ve ever heard.

Well I liked it. If you thought that was boring, imagine what being ushered into a seat in a swanky theatre would make them sound like though.

Idlewild at the Dublin Castle. Played 100 Broken Windows from start to finish. Superb.

The National at ULU is probably more impressive, but I’ve mentioned that elsewhere.

The Magic Numbers

I saw The National at the Cube Cinema and again at the Louisiana in Bristol.

Think I was at this one as well…

saw bloc party supported by the mystery jets (when the singers dad was still in the band) at central station in wrexham just before bloc party released so here we are (the banquet EP tour i think). that was pretty great, turns out @alcxxk did the sound for the tour he told me once after posting about this gig before (where is he tho!)

Dillinger Escape Plan with support from Between The Buried And Me
Orange Box (Yeovil)
£15

I was at the Glasgow show at the Cathouse. Definitely a top 5 gig of all time.

Nice. Was that the Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers tour?

I saw The National at The Barfly during the Alligator album tour. Good gig. Just shocked that they’re so big. They’re not that great. They’re good but not an amazing band for me.

The Bluetones, Ash and The Wedding Present all played in the Orange Box which had really low ceilings and held a couple of hundred at most. Also Franz Ferdinand played a Glastonbury warm up there. I saw the Wedding Present there in about 2011 and it closed down the following day :frowning:

No idea. Not a big fan but it was probably around 2003/2004.

Talking of Ash, I can remember seeing them at a “nightclub” in Jersey, which was one room and never held another gig again as far as I know.

And yeah, Orange Box had a ceiling you could touch by lifting up yr arms.