Who's the biggest band you've seen in a small-ish venue?

Nosferatu D2 are/were great.

the power of marketing

my pal’s dad used to put him on in similar wee shitehole “Acoustic nights!” venues in Norwich, saw him at The Bedford. Sucked back then too.

That was me! :slight_smile:

(ten years ago, fuck!)

He rapped and invented the loop pedal when I saw him. Then turned the music off at a girls house party so he could play a nizlopi cover

oh jayzuz, looks like I got off lightly

He whiteyed in a bush

course he fuckin’ did

Mogwai at Stereo, Glasgow
The Antlers at The 13th Note, Glasgow
Thee Oh Sees at Urban Spree, Berlin
Fucked Up in various toilet venues across the years, perhaps most notably 297 Kent Road, New York
The National, Leeds Met Uni
Sleaford Mods, Rough Trade West, London

probably loads more i’ve forgotten

Foals at QMU in Glasgow. (Not a tiny venue, but compared to where they play now I guess it is).
Frightened Rabbit playing Sings The Greys in full in Edinburgh in 2011 or so (with an acoustic Twilight Sad support slot) to under 200 people
Scott from Frightened Rabbit playing to 25 people at a house show last Christmas.

Probably more but these are the only ones that come to mind just now.

The Happy Mondays at Dingwalls.

Being party to The Tin in Coventry has led to seeing Bonnie “Prince” Billy, Hauschka, Low and Jóhann Jóhannsson in the gigs they promoted at St John’s Church. 300 standing capacity for B"P"B and Low, 120 seats for Hauschka and JJ (years before the latter two went up for Oscars).

Husker Du @ The Powerhouse Birmingham 1986. It was about 1/4 full but that did not distract from that life changing experience. No theatrics just them really rattling through a pretty hardcore sounding set. It really changed my life. Candy Apple Grey tour and although that album lags a little that speaks volumes for just what a great live band they were. Lost post Hardcore Beatles.

I would love to have seen Hüsker Dü!

Also saw Efterklang at The Tin when it was Taylor John’s House (maximum standing capacity of 150) when they were at the back end of the Parades tour in 2009.

Also, Tim Harrington of Les Savy Fav was there for a bit, he was very lovely indeed

Where is/was the Powerhouse in Birmingham?

I saw Bastille in Moles in Bath for free one Saturday night, they were shite if I remember. I also saw Arctic Monkeys at Leicester Uni at a ‘secret’ gig just after Brianstorm came out, if that’s counts, good they were really good;

Acid Mothers Temple in Miss Peapod’s, Penryn seemed kinda weird at the time as it was essentially a little vegan cafe.

Marky Ramone showing a film, doing a spoken word set then rattling through a Ramones set with a covers band called Creepsville in The Half Moon, Paignton was pretty odd too. I remember him being mobbed.

Muse were also booked to play my school hall but suddenly got too big.