Why are planets round?

If it doesn’t matter for aerodynamics in space, they could be cubes?

Is it because all of the rotating on their axis and orbiting over time erodes their corners?

Or do we just perceive them as round because of how fast they are spinning and actually they are cubes?

1 Like

They’re flat, duh

5 Likes

It’s quite simple really

4 Likes

I don’t understand this, sorry

Screenshot_20220418-192852_Chrome
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

24 Likes

Not much, why are planets round with you?

5 Likes

I don’t know that’s why I’m asking!!!

1 Like

Lot of globeheads ITT

2 Likes

They form that way! They’re made of accumulated space dust that clings together into bigger and bigger blobs, and because gravity acts to pull it all towards the centre (because the weight of it all pulls together into the middle), they tend to form in a round shape. In fact that’s part of the definition of a planet - they have to have enough of their own gravity to have formed into a round shape. Smaller things with less gravity aren’t always round, like Oumuamua, a cigar shaped object that was found passing through the solar system a few years ago.

So they couldn’t be cubes, a. because a cube wouldn’t form in space, and b. because by definition if it’s not rounded it’s not a planet.

21 Likes

this is the good shit right here!

Thank you

3 Likes

But that’s exactly what I wrote!

5 Likes

They’re also not totally spherical- the Earth bulges at the equator and flattens at the poles.

1 Like

does this mean given enough time we will all be round some day?

Oblate spheroid*

2 Likes

Way ahead of you

5 Likes

does this mean given enough time we will all be Oblate spheroid some day?

4 Likes

Lots of sides

1 Like

Don’t we all!

1 Like

so wait does this mean the universe is centrist?!

I’m quite pleased they are because it means you can use different fruits to show their relative size e.g. earth is an apple and Jupiter is a massive melon etc and I’d struggle to teach that lesson if I had to find loads of different cubes

2 Likes