Why did no one tell me about Kelsey Lu?

Good god this is incredible

and this 10cc cover starts off decent and then goes full body cosmic

Her first album from 2016 is mainly just her incredible voice & cello playing - like Solange meets Florence meets Arthur Russell

Her new album ‘Blood’ is released at midnight

Why did no one tell me about her?

3 Likes

Ive been banging on about her for neons like!

indeed you did

I will have to listen to your recommendations more closely in future

New album at midnight

1 Like

Gosh. That was… definitely quite the thing. Do love a bit of psychedelic/neo-soul, but that was… intense in a way I didn’t expect.

(also, second video maybe needs a NSFW warning)

Oh yeah

2nd video CW: Boobs

I always forget about stuff like that because nudity is not an issue over here

The new album ‘Blood’ is sublime, huge and drifting, intimate & precise

There’s one incongruous track on it though, a sort of disco pastiche that sounds like an over-produced Donna Summer track and really doesn’t fit among the fine strings & dulcimers of the rest of the album.
Listening closely to the lyrics though it would seem that this track is a kind of fuck you to being asked by the label/her a&r/manager to produce a radio friendly pop hit single. The track’s called Poor Fake and there’s a spoken word bit where she says

As I stare into its frame, slowly approaching
At first glance, this is the finest painting I’ve ever laid eyes on
As they all say, it truly is one of a kind
I lift my magnifying glass to its smooth lines
Taking a closer look, inspection is key
What do we have here? Could this be a forgery?

and the chorus

Listen
Is this real or just a poor fake?
Listen
Is this real or just a poor fake?

I absolutely love this woman

One time at Field Day I arrived to see a Kelsey Lu. I didn’t know her very well but knew she collaborated with cool people (OPN?)

Another girl turned up and we waited for KL. Unfortunately it turned out she was cancelled and the girl relayed her disappointment to me. I then walked away.

Memoirs due in 2022.

Yep, this is a damn fine record.

This album’s growing on me quite a bit now. Looking forward to seeing her play live in King’s Place in a month or two.

1 Like

Struggling to see this leave my top 5 come end of year.

1 Like

Thanks to @BodyInTheThames for making this thread and @paulo13 for bumping it today. Had seen her mentioned on DiS before but for some reason hadn’t checked her out. Is the new one as good Shades of Blue? What a song and what a video!

New London gig announced. Earth - 6 November

1 Like

It’s definitely my album of the year to this point, and I’m struggling to think of anything that will top it. It reminds me of that time when Portishead, Tricky and Massive Attack were releasing impeccable albums one after another - it very much has that feel about it. Very strong.

Hmm - gig seems to have been pulled?? - no longer mentioned on her website and can’t buy tickets from seetickets (although that page still exists) :worried:

Hmm maybe someone announced it too early or something? She’s playing the Club to Club festival in Italy the weekend before so presumably she’s in Europe that week

Thanks for recommending this one gang. ‘Poor Fake’ is a proper banger and I’m enjoying the rest of the album too.

1 Like

Back on sale again

https://www.ticketweb.uk/event/kelsey-lu-earth-tickets/9569655

:grinning:

Cheers for this!! Ticket booked :smiley:

She’s doing a free gig with Dr Martins (how they 90s) next week too, you regiester but its first come first served on the night.