why do countries have different names in different languages?

Isn’t that a bit rude?

I don’t have a different name in other places so why should a country?

5 Likes

Lots of peoples names are different in different in different languages.

that’s not true

1 Like

Different

I like it that this is the case

3 Likes

Like you’re not called Antonio if you go to Italy are you?

I agree but some of them are a right cunt to say though.

EDIT : All

I sure hope not!

1 Like

I think we could all muddle through in whatever accent we have though just like we would with a person’s name

Enrique Inglesias would be Henry Churches if he came from Swindon.

14 Likes

Emmanuel Petit would be Jesus Small

6 Likes

that’s a good little factoid but we call him Enrique so we shouldn’t call
España Spain

• Angleterre
  • Inglaterra
  • Other

0 voters

Yeah @hip_young_gunslinger Bam’s right.

I’ve always wondered this actually. Liek why do we call Germany that, when they’re actually called Deutschland. It makes no sense.

4 Likes

Alright, Marco Scudi.

Kinda like the name Pays de Galles

1 Like

Would be so fucking shit in the first day of French lessons to be all ‘je m’appelle Aggpass, j’habite a Colchester, en England’

this is interesting:

Where Dutch came from

Before we dig into this demonym, there are three terms we need to define: Holland , the Netherlands , and Dutch . The Old English cousin to Dutch , thiod or theod , simply meant “people or nation.” (This also helps explain why Germany is called Deutschland in German.)

Over time, English-speaking people used the word Dutch to describe people from both the Netherlands and Germany, and now just the Netherlands today. (At that point in time, in the early 1500s, the Netherlands and parts of Germany, along with Belgium and Luxembourg, were all part of the Holy Roman Empire.) Specifically the phrase High Dutch referred to people from the mountainous area of what is now southern Germany. Low Dutch referred to people from the flatlands in what is now the Netherlands.

Within the Holy Roman Empire, the word Netherlands was used to describe people from the low-lying ( nether ) region ( land ). The term was so widely used that when they became a formal, separate country in 1815, they became the Kingdom of the Netherlands. The word Holland literally meant “wood-land” in Old English and originally referred to people from the northern region of the Netherlands. Over time, Holland , among English speakers, came to apply to the entire country, though it only refers to two provinces—the coastal North and South Holland—in the Netherlands today. Got all that?

3 Likes

but we already have words from other languages incorporated like Karaoke and Sauna and Ikea

I guess it’s because a name of a country (generally) grows over time and grows in different directions in different languages. Where a name of a person is more definite and given to them so it is absolute and doesn’t depend on the language you’re saying it in

1 Like