why do countries have different names in different languages?

No

:sigh: Twats

I have read this book (in english) and enjoyed it

1 Like

was going to mention how Dublin’s anglicised name actually means ‘Blackpool’ but after looking at its wikipedia page I found an even funnier fact: they give two pronunciations, Dublin and (locally) Duuuublin :smiley:

Dublin (/ˈdʌblɪn/, locally /ˈdʊb-/; Irish: Baile Átha Cliath [12] [ˈbˠalʲə aːhə ˈclʲiə; ˌbʲlʲaː ˈclʲiə]) is the capital and largest city of Ireland.[13][14]

2 Likes

it is Very Good.

It is! I have no knowledge of the specific things he’s apparently parodying but it was still funny

have you read the Hard Life? I’ve had that lying around for ages but never got round to it for some reason - actually, it seems to be regarded as not anywhere near as good as his others, so that could be why

There is a resemblance in landscape between the Parts of Holland and Holland, the region in the Netherlands, although their meanings are different. Holland in England means “land of the hill spurs”, although hill spurs are hardly obvious, while the Dutch Holland is derived from the Old Dutch term holt-lant (“wooded land”). Both Hollands have landscapes that are low lying and both are known for tulip growing.

1 Like

i have yeah, it’s a fun read, though like The Dalkey Archive it feels a bit more ‘lightweight’ than his earlier work. silly and imaginative but without being quite as inventive (though the James Joyce subplot in Dalkey is quite funny). still worth reading.

there was a book of his short stories published a few years ago which is definitely worth reading if you can get your hands on it.

The street signs around Chinatown in London have Chinese language versions underneath. A native speaker told me they’re actually meaningless in Chinese but if a Chinese speaker were to say them it would sound like Leicester Square or whatever.

1 Like

I’ve read the short story collection (thought it was great), haven’t read Dalkey Archive though, probably will investigate at some point even if it isn’t as good

think I might have a collection of his newspaper columns as well, actually, definitely did not read any of them

I’ve got one of the newspaper columns collections (think there’s a couple) but I’ve only dipped into it, need to devote a bit more time to it

Just read The Third Policeman recently, that was a wild ride

1 Like

It’s superb. Started re-reading it a while back but then moved onto something else instead, must get back to it again.

I was vaguely assuming they’d need some knowledge about whatever he’s satirising to make any sense of them, but they still might be amusing