Why do you think there aren't more new posters getting involved? social board specific chat

oh right, sorry, didn’t realise this forum was created purely for your specific needs.

Well you fucked that up, didn’t you?

don’t know what you mean man?

actually, I do now.

1 Like

No, but it’s just not very welcoming or engaging or interesting to a lot of people who look at it.

to you, maybe not. to others, it might be. who are these ‘lot of people’ that you refer to anyway? have you done a straw poll or something. got Mori involved?

you could always do something else? read a more intelligent, thought-provoing thread perhaps?

Well here’s to the influx of more identikit men who want to chat about “hurr hurr, you’re a paedo” and why they don’t enjoy things.

When people put photos of themselves, I literally couldn’t tell the difference between most of those men, and I have no issues with face recognition. Music is a pretty broad and common interest, yet this is the membership a music site with pretty broad readership has?

I had a look about an hour ago at the list of social topics and thought “there is not a single thing here I’m remotely interested in. Why am I bothering with this? Why did I bother trying to talk about other stuff?”

When you’re talking about “thought police” you’re acting like this is some kind of cutting edge radical zero-tolerance policy. Calling people racist/sexist/ableist slurs on the internet has been considered pretty unacceptable and ignorant behaviour for quite a long time now, you’re just behind the times. (And don’t make me laugh that comparing people to the Inbetweeners is like calling someone an R)

4 Likes

You should flag any slurs you see. One user was banned for using an ableist slur and there’s a specific thread started to request no one use ‘Paedo’ as a jovial insult (although I’ve not gone through it to see the result).

1 Like

Has anyone baggsed the @needlesslydefensive username yet?

3 Likes

^this this this this this

The social board is mostly guff.

1 Like

It’s even in sean’s brief: ‘From Football to sandwiches via fish puns and pub quiz team names, the
DiS social boards are an alternative universe filled with irreverent chat about everything and nothing. Dive in.’

Edit: this was clearly a reply to @plasticniki

let’s face it, pal, we’re pretty unbearable here. can you imagine going onto the atease forum and just being like hey guys, how’s it going? nah, you just wouldn’t.

i couldn’t be bothered with the migration

Yeah, presenting creepy sexual abuse stories as “hurr hurr listen to my funny shagging story LADZ”. That’s it. I’m out.

Not in the sense of you writing it, people’s reactions.

I think it’s good to have people around who talk about … I dunno art or films or even interesting music or whatever, even though my enthusiasm for doing this has waned somewhat recently.

2 Likes

I dunno, is it worth my bother if I have to push uphill to do it through a crowd of knuckle dragging LADZ/wannabe but actually failed LADZ who kind of wish they were on 4chan, but can’t get away with it at work (but who have massively kidded themself into thinking that they’re more decent people than the sorts who really hang out there)?

It’s also just the fucking entitlement of them to think that the discussion part of a national music website is their own special stomping ground, and that somehow it’s totally natural that it should be populated almost entirely by men whose attitudes are stuck about 20 years in the past.

Why should everyone else have to claw out a tiny section of the pie and constantly be having to push back against racist/sexist/homophobic/etc/etc/etc shit? Why aren’t we already included and considered?

1 Like

If you find most people unbearable, they probably won’t get any more bearable with time.

I feel like there used to be more people who posted about interesting(ish) stuff, but quite a few have dropped off/rarely post any more. though that could just be some sort twisted nostalghia talking.

Why do they drop out though? This site has thousands and thousands of members, yet it’s the same old people dominating.