Why haven't any of you idiots started a cricket thread?

India are better at cheeky little dabs than England

Jordan playing a blinder.

1 Like

Haven’t seen any chat about Ben Stokes potentially being a very naughty boy. Anyone following the court case ?

there’s another thread.

1 Like

End of county championship in sight, looks like the main drama will be a roses battle to avoid relegation from div 1. Surrey look to have wrapped up the title, and if Warks can finish off leicestershire over the next 5 sessions (need 6 wickets, and leicestershire have been dreadful this season), then they effectively need a draw (whether from rain or not) in mid/late september from the last 2 games to get promotion. A win from their last two games pretty much sews up the title.

Kent and Sussex battling it out for second place to get promoted up, although they both have to play Warks which is kind of interesting. Sussex in a tough game against durham at the moment.

Worcs look doomed to be relegated.

Gonna be a very tense second innings chase at Headlingly. Reckon if we can make Lancashire chase 250+ we’re favourites, but thats a long way off yet. Suspect they’ll be chasing 210, but equally we could just collapse for another 4 runs.

No doubt it’s horrid for supporters of each team, but it’s a fantastically set up game for the neutral.

You’ve got enough already, we couldn’t chase down a pensioner

1 Like

Oh absolutely, its a brilliantly poised game between two teams with horribly brittle batting lineups.

Kind of feel it might be for the best long term if Yorkshire go down. Those back to back titles feel a long time ago now, and for the past couple of years we’ve just dabbled along towards the bottom of the division. Going down might be a chance to refresh things properly, rather than saying “Ah well, we survived, so lets just carry on and hope it goes better next season”

But then again, really wouldn’t want Lancashire to send us down or survive at our expense, so :man_shrugging:

I’d be surprised if Lancs successfully chased anything over 170ish.

Hah. We’ll see. Meanwhile, Surrey look to be trying their best to give Worcestershire a win, which is very helpful of them.

looking alright for the white uns

Yup. Imagine Ben Coad will be on a Lions tour this winter.

Absolute gold-plated hero. Thanks for everything Colly.

7 Likes

The only saving grace about relegation at county level i imagine is that the season’s such a clusterfuck because of scheduling and central contracts and overseas limited-overs deals and even format that it doesn’t seem to matter as much as it ought to.

Get the impression that the Lancashire fans are very disaffected with the people in charge and just want to see the team winning a few games, and preferably away from a 90% empty Old Trafford.

I think they got 500 tickets for T20 Finals Day and the rest were sold on open sale before a ball was bowled, which admittedly’s not the club’s fault but seems dodgy to me.

Adam Lyth and Gary Ballance piling on the runs together must have the selectors thinking that this is a combination they’d like to watch on a November afternoon in Galle

Bowled (lbw) im! Don’t know why I did that.

So if Warks draw with Sussex (Warks 2nd innings 78-0, leading by 175 at tea on Day 3) and the current updated table on is correct… Warks and Kent will be knotted up on 219 pts at the top of Div 2 (both will already be promoted). And playing each other last game of the season.

1 Like

(FWIW I thought before the game that Warks would bat out for a draw rather than go for the win and risk losing, which is basically where they were a couple of hours ago, and I think that’s fair. Guarantees promotion, and win/do better than oppo in your home match against them next week to take the title. Can’t plan on rain. Also enables them (both teams in fact) to go for it next week, which could make for some fun)