Why is a Fish named John Dory?

Looked this up because it seems a bit weird that a fish has a name like a person.

‘The English name John Dory derives from the French ‘jaune doré’ meaning ‘golden yellow’ – a good description for this unusual looking fish, available from 230-450g fish to 2kg.’

The whole thing seems very suspicious, are there any other creatures named after people?

2 Likes

Mr Ed

2 Likes

Ellie Phant.

Halle Butt

Jack Dempsey is a fish too, right?

1 Like

Scaptia beyonceae

*good ear etc

1 Like

I was recently SHOCKED to learn that Dory from Finding Nemo and Finding Dory was not a John Dory.

Yes! :open_mouth:

The Jack Dempsey ( Rocio octofasciata ) is a species of cichlid that is widely distributed across North and Central America (from Mexico south to [Honduras].Its common name refers to its aggressive nature and strong facial features, likened to that of the famous 1920s boxer.

Matt Le Tissier

Spiders are named after Spider-Man.

3 Likes

Justin Fishablancas

5 Likes

Heere’s looking at you, squidpan

1 Like

Ha! Poor real Jack Dempsey!

Jack Russell

2 Likes

@sean potential new fish puns for you mate

Horses are named after @colossalhorse, before he came along they were just called ‘Default Zebra’

5 Likes

All turkeys are called Bernard Matthews

1 Like

Colin McRayfish
Rubens Barracuda
Michael Schumackerel
Nigel Mansild
Kimi Hakeönen
Jenson Button-nosed Dolphin
Stirling Moss
Riccod roe Patrese
Nelson Piket
Heikki Koivalainen
Nigel Manseel
Keke Wrasseberg
Juan Pablo Mantaoya
Gurnard Berger

1 Like

This was of course back when I had long hair, a distinct gallop and a 2 kilo a day oat habit.

1 Like

The Tully Monster, named for its discoverer. No relation, although it is actually my name (one of them anyway).

2 Likes